This week in Diamond Shavings: James Avery jewelry stirs debate. A Texas jeweler faces trouble over missing paperwork. Kim Kardashian’s jewelry choices raise questions. All below.
Tiffany & Co. appoints new CEO.
– Tiffany shareholders approve LVMH acquisition.
– Some shareholders voiced objections.
– Will Tiffany expand into China, beyond jewelry?
– Arnualt’s son enters the big leagues.
– Lessons learned from Tiffany-LVMH fight.
– Wall Street Journal goes behind the scenes. (subscription required)
– Tiffany sets sales record, buys 80 ct. diamond.
J.C. Penney CEO Soltau leaves company.
– Turnaround “is still far away.”
– How Authentic Brands has become “2020’s repo man.”
Looking Ahead (2021)
– JCK Jewelry District podcast: Predictions for 2021.
– Three types of content trending on Instagram.
– What jewelers will be talking about in 2021.
Looking Back (2020)
– Roll call of 2020’s departing jewelers.
– My 10 favorite jewelry promotions of 2020.
– 23 of the best jewelry reads.
– The 10 weirdest stories of the year.
– The biggest jewelry retail news.
– Jewelry designers discuss their favorite piece.
– The best jewelry design collaborations.
– All the TV show, books, and podcasts recommended by jewelry pros.
– Remembering those the industry lost.
– National Jeweler’s editors look back. (video)
Online jewelry sales surged 45% this holiday.
– Online shopping surge strains U.S. ports.
U.S. economy won’t recover until later in the year.
– Biden planning more economic stimulus.
– Retail gained jobs, as overall economy lost them.
– What the second stimulus offers small businesses.
Retail, manufacturing associations react to riot at U.S. Capitol.
COVID-19 variant found in upstate New York jewelry store.
How jewelry crime has changed over past year.
Former jewelers charged with setting up home invasion.
New York wholesaler pleads guilty to ponzi scheme.
Texas jeweler has assets seized for not filing IRS paperwork.
Customs seizes 1,000 pieces of counterfeit jewelry in Louisville, Ky.
Consumers don’t know about gold’s issues, but like “responsible” option.
People “have thoughts” on new James Avery Valentine’s Day jewelry.
Why is plus-size luxury jewelry so hard to find?
Bharat Diamond Bourse votes to allow synthetics.
– WWD on the debate between natural and lab-grown. (subscription required)
Diamond Foundry opens office in Dubai.
COVID-19 case confirmed at Ekati mine.
Casio America names new CEO.
Macy’s appoints new chief merchandising officer.
Noted gemologist Bill Hanneman dies.
Diamond wholesaler Henry Verstandig dies.
Culy’s Jewelry in Michigan has new owners.
Kimball’s Jewelers’ merchandise manager is a Knoxville, Tenn., 40 under 40.
South African sisters open world’s only women-owned diamond polishing business.
Son of Botswana’s former president takes a shine to diamonds.
Judith Ripka sells Palm Beach, Fla., home.
Kate Moss is the new face of Messika.
News flash: Kim Kardashian shown without engagement ring but with wedding ring.
A closer look at that Bulova watch in The Queen’s Gambit.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend, and new year.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine