As I write this from my home office in New York City, which will for the near-term be my actual office, I can say this is the most unsettling Friday the 13th I’ve ever seen.
One of the advantages of covering a beat—especially if you have done it for a long time—is I believe we at JCK enjoy a personal relationship with our readers, perhaps more than other journalists. So let me just wish everyone out there the best as we navigate this crisis.
As Italian designer Roberto Coin said Tuesday, the business will—as it has many times before—come back. People can’t. So everyone, please, take care of yourselves, follow all the protocols, and protect the old and vulnerable folks in your life. If everyone does the right thing and looks out for each other, we will get through this.
I hope to see all of you soon. In person.
This week: The gold price loses steam. New ad campaign features Holocaust survivors. And is jewelry “all about sex”? All below.
– Retail traffic takes a hit.
– Centurion on how jewelers can survive coronavirus.
– How to revive malls after coronavirus lifts.
– Is the virus an “ironic opportunity”?
– JA New York cancelled, MJSA postponed.
– Stuller, Istanbul jewelry show also postponing events.
– GJEPC show also postponed.
– India closes its borders.
– Surat industry faces liquidity crisis.
– Will the Indian industry make it through?
– Antwerp diamond shipments blocked by Indian customs.
– Alrosa relaxes payment terms.
– Israel eases trading rules.
– How the Swiss watch business is coping.
– Alibaba’s Chinese arm returns to pre-outbreak levels.
– Jeweler sells $6,000 toilet paper roll.
– Does hand sanitizer hurt jewelry?
– Italian jewelry vets talk about life under lockdown.
– JCK flashback (2003): The scars from SARS
– JCK flashback (2002): Coping with crisis
InStore: Jewelers’ confidence level tumbles to 12-month low.
Jewelers to do best with watches and diamonds, says survey.
Here’s what engagement ring shoppers are looking for online.
Costco sells customer a $600,000 engagement ring.
How the lab-grown diamond industry is getting organized.
– How companies differ their marketing.
Is diamond mining nearing its sunset?
The opportunities in colored diamonds.
Sarine ushers in era of “in-factory grading.”
– How artificial intelligence will play a role in the industry.
Gold drops more than $80 an ounce.
– ABN Amro sees gold, silver prices as “vulnerable.”
– Uncut Gems jeweler stays bullish.
Retail milestone: More stores sell services than products.
Can Amazon’s luxury platform challenge Alibaba’s?
– Amazon to buy Lord & Taylor building.
Neiman Marcus shutting down its Last Call off-price division.
Jewelry brand The Last Line to open permanent store (subscription required).
Hitched, “Warby Parker of wedding rings,” opens store in Philadelphia.
Jewelry brand Me&Ro to close stores, focus on digital.
Russell Shor retires from GIA after 19 years.
– Shor looks back over 40 years in the industry.
Nirupa Bhatt leaving post at GIA India.
Erik Nordstom becomes retailer’s sole CEO.
Alrosa supervisory board reelects Sergey Ivanov as CEO.
ABlogtoWatch names North American sales director.
Yoox Net-a-Porter CEO to step down.
Luxury’s hidden “Indian supply chain.”
New bill takes aim at dangerous online counterfeits.
Star Diamond sues Rio Tinto over Canada deal.
Report: L.A. jeweler Jona Rechnitz faces criminal probe.
Security guards under investigation for Dresden theft.
Grace Mugabe tries to dismiss suit from diamond dealer.
Jeweler shares attempted suicide story to help others.
Frieda Rothman campaign features Holocaust survivors.
Woman buys engagement ring for boyfriend, who pawns it.
Why Princess Diana’s engagement ring infuriated palace officials.
Boris Johnson’s girlfriend shows off huge engagement ring.
Richa Chadha flaunts diamond-studded ring.
All the rings from The Bachelor/Bachelorette.
Plumb Club guests to sing along with Sting.
The New York Times on “the intersection of haute couture and watchmaking.”
Refinery29 on women-led jewelry brands.
The Guardian on lab-grown diamonds.
Mel on “cremation diamonds.”
Buffalo News writer talks about the “treasured memories” she got from her engagement ring.
The Times says diamonds are “about sex” (subscription required).
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a nice, safe, and healthy weekend! WASH YOUR HANDS!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Image: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine