Hope everyone is hanging in and staying in. We wish everyone the best during this troubling time.
This week: Is Amazon discouraging sales? More evidence of “revenge spending” in China. And jewelry made from mouse poop. All below.
– Rolex, other brands start new watch fair.
– Baselworld will be “missed but not mourned.”
– So where do other watch brands show their stuff?
Gold price crashes through $1,700 barrier.
– Silver jewelry saw its 11th straight year of growth in 2019.
Online jewelry, watch sales show big sales decline.
Shopping down at jewelry, watch retailers.
Jewelers Board of Trade: 265 U.S. jewelry retailers closed in first quarter.
How COVID-19 has hurt both big and small jewelry companies.
Great advice from industry webinars.
– JCK’s list of cancellations, reschedulings (updated daily).
– JCK’s list of coronavirus resources (updated daily).
A Loan, Adrift
– Confusion reigns over SBA loans and programs.
– Some businesses get loans, but others lag.
– The SBA loan money is already gone.
– The 10 things we need to know about PPP loan forgiveness.
Many small businesses were struggling before virus hit.
– A look at the small business landscape—and the way forward.
Peter Smith: What will retail look like coming out of this?
– Some retailers say things won’t ever be the same.
– Don’t expect consumers to become more enlightened.
– How COVID-19 has (already) changed retail.
Retail sales plunged 8.7% in March.
– April’s sales are “hideous.”
Macy’s “exploring options” to restructure finances.
J.C. Penney, Neiman Marcus reportedly mulling Chapter 11 filing.
– Both stores said to skip bond payments.
Can direct-to-consumer brands survive the COVID-19 apocalypse?
Will Amazon become even more dominant?
– Amazon wants consumers to spend less.
Retail workers are demanding new protections and benefits.
– What we expect from companies is changing.
– Will stores have to take customers’ temperatures?
Post-crisis, get ready for more luxury mergers and acquisitions.
COVID-19 may be the death knell for troubled Folli Follie.
Stuller lays off staff, reduces work schedule.
Will “revenge spending” save the diamond business?
– Hermés store in China had a record day (subscription required).
India says jewelry industry among “most hurt” by pandemic.
– Surat diamond industry seeks stimulus to pay workers.
– Demand for gold jewelry crashes in China, India.
EBay names Walmart exec Jamie Iannone its new CEO.
Britain’s National Association of Jewellers furloughs CEO.
Noted jewelry designer Leila Tai dies.
Wideband jewelry founder Irving Korwin dies.
Diamond dealer Manny Gordon dies of COVID-19.
Slain Connecticut jeweler’s family mourns privately.
– Robber was a career criminal.
Connecticut man accused of selling jewelry without a license.
Jona Rechnitz boasted of FBI ties to “scammed” diamond dealer, suit says.
Pure Grown, IIa, Fenix challenge lab-grown diamond claims.
Rio Tinto denies “false, baseless” allegations in lawsuit.
Amazon fires three employees for criticizing company.
Tennessee jewelry store tries “drive-by diamonds.”
Patek Philippe Nautilus sets record for watch auctioned online.
Barbara Palumbo’s “open letter to working moms in the jewelry industry.”
Watch brands, retailers pitch in for coranavirus relief.
– Gem Legacy aids East African mining families.
– Houston jeweler makes jewelry for health care heroes.
– British jeweler pitches in for relief efforts.
Make Cents jewelry tries to raise awareness for suicide prevention.
A jewelry designer giving away pieces to 500 brides in need.
A FedEx driver rescued couple’s dream wedding.
Maine artists make jewelry, gifts from moose poop.
Five magical movie moments featuring jewelry.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine