Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe. Wishing the best to all.
You may not know the guest on our latest podcast, Rhett Outten, owner of Croghan’s Jewel Box in Charleston, S.C. But I’m willing to bet you’ll enjoy—and get something out of—what she has to say.
She shares her social media strategy during lockdown—which has proven surprisingly successful—and her well-thought-out reopening strategy, which includes some health tips from her doctor brother. I guarantee you’ll find it useful, or your money back. Check it out here.
This week: How is retail doing in the “open” states? Lord & Taylor might liquidate. And can you find the dog with the diamond? All below.
Stores Come Back
– Signet has reopened more than 100 of its stores.
– How several major retailers are reopening.
– Oregon jeweler builds plexiglass enclosure.
– The National Retail Federation’s reopening checklist.
– Jewelers Vigilance Committee’s best practices to avoid legal liability.
– Discussion: Should retailers require customers to wear masks?
But Will Customers?
– Retail foot traffic ticks up.
– Many consumers still staying home.
– “Tepid” traffic at Texas malls.
– “Eerie” shots of reopened malls.
JCK webinar on post-COVID-19 recovery.
– Sherry and Peter Smith on what retail will look like now.
– What the great recession comeback can teach the jewelry industry.
– Jewelers’ main takeaways.
– Retailers look to China for answers.
– Some now worry about Christmas.
SBA not giving out loans to new applicants.
– Small businesses worry about spending government loans.
– Smaller companies see increasing “gloom.”
– Insurers and small businesses “prepare for war.”
One jeweler’s harrowing experience with COVID-19.
Baselworld cancels 2021 fair, is unsure of future.
– Report: Baselworld giving a 65% refund.
– Jewelers of America national convention going virtual.
– Jewelry industry cancellations, reschedulings, reopenings (updated regularly).
How Pandora plans to survive the pandemic.
– How Kendra Scott has pivoted.
Neiman Marcus files for bankruptcy.
J. Crew files for bankruptcy.
Report: Lord & Taylor plans to liquidate.
Nordstrom permanently closing 16 stores.
J.C. Penney and Sephora seem to work out dispute.
– Background on brief court fight.
Sycamore Partners calls off deal to acquire Victoria’s Secret.
– So, what’s next?
The malls “come tumbling down.”
Rio Tinto complains Dominion kept it in the dark.
– Dominion owes local businesses millions.
Chaim Even-Zohar: Embrace the diamond industry “ripple effect.”
Edahn Golan: Polished prices edge down in April.
Petra Diamonds withholds interest payment as creditors circle.
– Lucara Diamond now in the red.
Alrosa changes production plans.
Reuters on the Antwerp diamond industry reopening.
Israel bourse opens certain operations.
Some diamond cutting may move from Surat.
– Indian diamond workers union complain workers haven’t been paid.
Construction of Lightbox plant delayed to 2021.
“Local gloom” in Botswana over less De Beers activity.
Diamond diggers trapped after Liberia mine collapse.
Race for Debswana top post.
Diamond guy Gilly Strauss gets into the face mask business.
Former A.A. Friedman head William Thompson dies.
Didier Giard, president of the French Association of Gemmology, dies.
One person dies during shoot-out at Tennessee jewelry store.
Jewelry store employee shot, injured during Texas robbery.
Signet appoints Vincent Sinisi as senior vice president for investor relations.
J.C. Penney’s chief information officer resigns.
Report: Ron Bensimon, Australian diamond dealer, “drummed out of business.”
Zimbabwe Diamond Co. board resignation the “tip of the iceberg.”
Amazon vice president resigns over whistleblowing firings.
Why you should stop ignoring TikTok.
Charles & Colvard to file its quarterly report late.
– Macy’s also delays earnings announcement.
Bernard Arnault has lost more money than anyone in world during COVID-19.
How Reed Krakoff is “energizing” Tiffany.
Diamond company puts out “spot the engagement ring” puzzle.
De Beers donates testing kits to Namibia.
Ohio jeweler offers “em(brace)lets” for charity.
Oklahoma jeweler gives back to health care workers.
New Orleans jeweler sells “quarantine kit” for charity.
Living with kosememophobia, the fear of jewelry.
Uncut Gems is coming to Netflix this month.
New book appears on the Florentine Diamond.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine