Wishing everyone the best during these troubling times. Stay safe, and take sensible precautions. Anyone can get COVID-19, as we have just seen.
This week in Diamond Shavings: Will the watch business consolidate? Almost 20,000 Amazon employees test positive for COVID-19. Kamala Harris gives the pearl necklace a “subversive update.” All below.
LVMH says pandemic killed Tiffany deal.
– Tiffany “ill-suited” for going it alone.
– Merger dispute shows “what’s wrong with American business.”
This year will see record retail bankruptcies, closures.
– Why Peter Smith doesn’t worry about brick-and-mortar retail.
– The NRF wants people to start holiday shopping early.
– Retailers race to offer same-day shipping.
– How Gen Z and millennials are reshaping retail.
What’s a K-shaped recovery, and should you worry about it?
Every retailer needs to find their “essential” during COVID-19.
Lightbox Jewelry now sold in 10 independents.
Pomellato CEO optimistic about future of jewelry (video).
Buccellati debuts new headquarters, will open six new stores in 2020.
Breitling CEO predicts fewer watch brands.
Charming Charlie opens its first new store.
Brilliant Earth’s Atlanta location debuts new concept.
Neiman Marcus exits bankruptcy under new owners.
– S&P Global sees slow recovery ahead.
Dominion starts cutting jobs at Ekati, offers no severance.
Edahn Golan: De Beers’ market share falls in 2019.
Secondhand e-tailer Poshmark files for IPO.
Will Amazon be fashion’s savior—or its archenemy?
– How Amazon hid its safety crisis.
– Almost 20,000 Amazon employees have COVID-19.
– How an Amazon bribery scheme became a $100 million swindle.
The story of eBay’s stalking scandal.
Pebble Mine CEO resigns after taped comments surface.
The first all-female emerald mining team.
Interview with GIA’s Robert Weldon.
Gold’s record high gives new life to dollar doomsayers (subscription required).
– Rising gold prices put dent in Turkish weddings.
Israel, UAE bourses sign collaboration agreement.
Richemont’s “rotten year.”
Cartier hires diversity and inclusion officer.
From Hermès, jewelry that listens to the body.
Man finds second largest diamond ever at Arkansas Park.
– Why he has to pay taxes on it.
From Kamala to Harry, the pearl necklace gets a “subversive update.”
The New York Times on buying jewelry on Instagram.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine