Hey, everybody! We have changed the format of JCK’s podcast, “The Jewelry District.” While we used to provide both commentary and interviews in one 45-minute episode, now we are breaking it up into two half-hour-long chunks. We will put out a new episode twice a month.
This week, we dropped our first all-commentary episode, with JCK editor-in-chief Victoria Gomelsky and myself reviewing the latest jewelry news. You can hear it here!
Tune in to hear the answer to the following questions: How is David Yurman not like Ben & Jerry’s? What is sustainability, really? What is that sniffing noise I make halfway through the show? What does De Beers research say about the changing diamond market? Is there really a good way to remove a diamond from your intestines? And finally, who is our guest on the next episode? (It’s a good one!)
I also hope you will provide the answer to our questions: What do you think of the new format—and the podcast in general? Send feedback here.
This week in Diamond Shavings: Tiffany fans sound off on the purchase by LVMH. How Trump’s new tariffs could affect French luxury. And Michael Hill changes its lab-grown marketing after it’s challenged. All below.
How Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2019 stacked up.
– Black Friday’s winners and losers.
– Shoppers start to lose interest.
– Pandora suffers Black Friday glitch.
– Jewelers share holiday sales projections.
Signet surprise: Third quarter sales rise.
– Earnings call transcript.
Tiffany & Co. reports flat sales, lower profits.
– Experts continue to mull over LVMH deal.
– The BBC talks to fans of the brand.
– LVMH-connected Tiffany board member Trapani resigns.
New Trump tariff threat kills French luxury stocks.
Rolex sues La Californienne over altered watches.
– Rescapement: Rolex might have a case, but.…
Analyst sees diamond industry’s “torrid” year continuing.
– Rapaport sees green shoots.
– FT: Miners hit by Indian polisher liquidity crisis.
Edahn Golan: What shrinking diamond financing means.
– Indian diamond businesses using more cash.
De Beers ends special supply measures.
– It’s still headed for worst year since 2015.
– Wall Street Journal looks at Tracr and Lightbox.
“Jewelry nerd” visits African diamond mines.
How do you responsibly close a diamond mine?
– De Beers defends Snap Lake closure, reclamation plan.
DPA uses Funny or Die to slam lab-grown diamonds.
– Benn Harvey-Walker: The industry is “lying to you.”
– De Beers booklet tries to differentiate.
– My thoughts: The natural and lab-grown sectors need to stop fighting.
Jeweller magazine’s “great diamond debate.”
Michael Hill changes diamond claims on its website.
E.U. adopts new lab-grown Customs code.
Russian firm invests in lab-grown diamond production.
What diamond shoppers are looking for online.
GIA to shut down Dubai branch.
– GIA offering 24-hour report service.
Accredited Gemologists Association warns about fake lab reports.
Sarine joins race to buy HRD Antwerp.
Robert E. Hunter Jr. Fine Jewelers in Houston files for bankruptcy.
Seybold Building jeweler sues his landlord.
Pandora registration requirement ruled illegal in European Union.
Man sentenced for running high-end jewelry scheme.
Beny Steinmetz loses $2 billion fight against Vale.
– Swiss prosecutor investigating Steinmetz visited Israel twice.
Stuller’s Andy “The Tool Guy” Kroungold dies.
Pearl and estate dealer Paul Fisher dies.
Head of Kering watch and jewelry division steps down.
Watches of Switzerland appoints Katie Reed VP of U.S. marketing.
J.C. Penney hires Pandora exec, won’t be delisted.
Macy’s president leaves company.
– Company’s challenges increase.
Gemfields chairman resigns to avoid governance issue.
Jean-Claude Biver will never do another watch brand.
Forever Companies (Diamond Nexus) doubling space.
Cash4Gold founder drops $20 million on waterfront estate.
Can a brand own a color? (mentions Tiffany).
Emma Stone’s shows off “vintage” engagement ring.
Woman can’t get over her small ring “heartbreak.”
Twenty-seven women tell the stories behind their engagement rings.
The Week visits Laurence Graff.
CNBC interviews Pandora CEO.
Moneyweek: Diamonds “lose their shine for investors”
Good Morning America looks at lab-grown diamonds.
Netflix special “explains” diamonds.
Head of AUrate on Glossy podcast.
From the Blog
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine