Last week, I asked readers to post comments about how they are holding up, any thoughts on the general situation, and what they would like JCK to cover regarding the jewelry business and COVID-19. I didn’t get many comments. (In fact, I just got one.) But if you are so moved, I’d still like to hear from you! And I wish everyone the best during this scary, sad time.
This week in Diamond Shavings: Neiman Marcus is considering bankruptcy. Jewelry manufacturer says she can’t get a COVID-19 test. And luxury brands start producing hand sanitizers. All below.
Coping With COVID-19
– What is the best retail strategy?
– What should you be posting on social media?
– Why authenticity is key.
– JA hosts COVID-19 webinars.
– Jewelry design grinds to a halt in New York, Los Angeles.
– JCK’s list of cancellations, closings, reschedulings, reopenings.
– JCK’s list of jewelry industry coronavirus resources.
Seven things you should know about getting an SBA loan.
– Three things businesses should know about loans and finances.
– A veteran banker’s advice to small businesses.
– What’s in the $2 trillion emergency relief bill.
State tax filing guidelines
Retailers wonder if they still have to pay rent.
– Are retailers and landlords destined to head to court?
– What the law says regarding insurance, rental obligations.
Businesses nervous about reopening too soon.
How does the coronavirus paid leave law work?
How companies treat workers now could determine their fate.
Signet slashing costs to deal with coronavirus impact.
– Taps credit facility after stores close.
– Kay Jewelers campaign tackles social separation.
– Stock rises 15%.
Report: Neiman Marcus considering bankruptcy.
Net-a-Porter closes U.S. site.
Forecast: 15,000 stores could permanently close.
– How big retailers are planning to stay afloat.
Consumers in a mood to save, not spend.
Can “revenge spending” save luxury in China?
Lessons from 2008: The affluent market won’t return to normal “overnight.”
South Carolina pawn shop sees “huge” increase in business.
Goldman Sachs is bullish on gold.
– TD Securities sees $2,000 gold next year.
Rapaport suspends price list in new furor.
– Interview with Rapaport: “We have to be honest.”
– World Federation of Diamond Bourses wants to start online exchange.
De Beers enables 100% deferrals at the next sight.
Diamond companies to get more time for loan repayments.
– ABN Amro says it will support clients.
Diamond workers in Gujarat demand paid vacation.
How diamond miners have reacted to COVID-19.
– Northern Workers file grievance over Ekati suspension.
– First Nation backs Canadian miner’s decisions.
Rhode Island jewelry manufacturer says she can’t get tested for coronavirus.
Julio Ramirez of M.K. Diamonds dies.
Designer, retailer Andrew Meyer dies.
Pandora hires chief commercial officer.
– Also hires new marketing team.
LVMH says it won’t buy Tiffany shares on open market.
Charles & Colvard receives another Nasdaq warning.
Couple allowed to sue over allegedly inflated diamond appraisal.
JVC on how to disclose lab-grown diamonds.
Alrosa finds new suspects in Angolan mine’s lost millions (subscription required).
Illegal gold mining threatens water supply in Ghana.
David Attenborough calls for ban on seabed mining.
Debmarine working on new diamond recovery vessel.
Lucapa says lockdown may trigger default.
How watch, jewelry brands are fighting the COVID-19 fallout.
Luxury brands’ “war” on coronavirus.
– LVMH, Kering creating masks, hand sanitizer.
Hodinkee will promote temporarily closed retailers on its site.
Wyoming jeweler puts up auction to help local restaurants.
Pat Henneberry: The industry needs to support each other.
Jeff Feero’s memes give the industry life during crisis.
Worthwhile distractions from jewelry pros working from home.
Best jewelry films to binge at home.
South China Morning Post ponders: What did Trump pay for Melania’s engagement ring? Ah, to have our publications write stories like that again.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
And for all who need a little inspiration, here’s Little Milton. This goes out to anyone anxious and troubled about weathering this storm—which is all of us. Hang on—and, please, stay safe! We’re all in this together, and if we pull together, we’re gonna make it.
Have a nice, safe, and healthy weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine