Wishing everyone the best during these troubling times. Stay safe, and take sensible precautions.
Just a quick note that I recently appeared on diamond analyst Paul Zimnisky’s excellent podcast, where I discuss my new book, lab-grown diamonds, online retail, and say “you know” every other minute. Check it out here.
Plus, there’s also the latest JCK podcast, where we talk with African designer Satta Matturi, and hear her insights into the African diamond industry and advice for emerging designers.
This week in Diamond Shavings: Is this holiday “do or die” for retailers? Nirav Modi on Netflix. And an Indian jeweler creates a record-shattering ring.
LVMH buying Tiffany for $400 million less.
– Analysts think Tiffany will move upscale.
– Why deal “makes sense.”
– My thoughts: War ends with no winner.
Lightbox to sell on Blue Nile as it opens factory.
– Oregon newspaper covers opening.
Jewelers Mutual acquires Wexler/IJB.
Black Jewelry in Coalition formed.
5 predictions for holiday retail season.
– Google shares shifts in consumer behavior for holiday.
– E-commerce to drive holiday sales gains.
– Pandemic forces holiday sales jobs off retail floor.
– It’s a “do or die” holiday for retailers.
Conference Board not that bullish on holiday jewelry sales.
JSA sees spike in distraction thefts.
De Beers delays new sightholder contract.
Dominion asks for breathing room to save company.
– Insolvency now puts second mine at risk.
Botswana diamond exports now down 66% in third quarter.
Tycoon claims he can make diamonds from polluted air.
Geeklery is the fandom jewelry site we’ve all been waiting for.
Secondhand retailer Rebag adds pre-owned watches and jewelry
Amazon sellers in dark after mass suspensions.
– After going all-in on Amazon, merchant loses everything.
– Amazon posts record sales and profits.
Etsy earnings show higher-than-expected growth.
Companies that doled out millions to executives before Chapter 11 filings (includes J.C. Penney and Neiman Marcus).
Israel Exchange president Yoram Dvash not seeking another term.
Kassoy hires David Allen as general manager.
Man who defrauded investors with diamond export project sentenced.
Sindika Dokolo, husband of Isabel Dos Santos and investor in diamond projects, dies at 48.
Nirav Modi is the subject of Netflix series.
On new Pebble Mine tapes, execs brag about not being held to promises.
– Developer expects $1.5 billion from state.
– Outside catches you up on Pebble’s twists and turns.
Indian jeweler breaks Guinness record with 7,801 diamonds.
Gwen Stefani’s engagement ring is apparently stunning.
From the Blog
From the Magazine
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine