This week in Diamond Shavings: Will jewelry be caught up in new trade war with India? Watch company apologizes for sexist ads. Drew Brees’ lawsuit against a jeweler gets a strange new wrinkle. All below.
DPA, Signet put lab-grown diamond detectors to the test.
– How should lab-grown diamonds be graded?
– Frederick Goldman buys Love Earth brand.
– New company from former Shinola president.
– Rapaport has lots of articles on synthetics.
– Excellent and comprehensive article on the ecological and social impact of mined versus lab-grown diamonds.
Paul Zimnisky: How diamond recycling could save the industry.
Atlanta jeweler home invasion shows need for precautions.
Patrick Murphy, owner of three-store jewelry chain, dies.
Diamantaire Ehud Ayre Laniado dies.
– Five fast facts.
– JCK interview in 2016 about cutting the “world’s most expensive diamond.”
Rio Grande names Arien Gessner president.
Phillips appoints Geoffrey Hess as watch consultant.
National Jeweler names Bobbie Hamburg sales manager.
Optimism in Hong Kong despite looming trade war.
– A visit to the Lorenzo Jewelry factory in China.
Trump moves to end India’s trade preference.
– How Indian jewelry survived past trade wars.
Weak demand hurts De Beers’ sales.
– Cheap diamonds are “unloved.”
Alrosa’s sales slump. too.
– Gets Chinese company not to trade in dollars.
ClickZ looks at diamonds and blockchain.
Millennials still buying diamonds, DPA says.
– Pam Danziger solicits opinions about DPA self-purchase campaign.
– Barbara Palumbo has an issue, too.
Mariner Watches apologizes for sexist ads.
– Is the brand real?
Accusations of “plot” in Drew Brees’ lawsuit against jeweler.
Did Brexit backer Arron Banks try to smear diamond rival?
Pandora-plugging email makes trouble for university head.
Take a 360-degree tour through an Angolan diamond mine.
Zimbabwe to scrap diamond mine ownership rules.
– Civil society tries to ban gem sale.
Venezuela, Palestine sign diamond production deal.
There’s apparently some weirdness at Baselworld
Graff acquires building on Madison Avenue.
Seller puts $15 million crown on RapNet.
Man gives new engagement ring to wife of 63 years after surgery.
Jersey Shore star gets a very “Jersey” engagement ring.
Australian publication is all about opals.
Diamonds an “investors’ best friend” (sponsored content).
Why this writer doesn’t wear an engagement ring.
From the Blog
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Image: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine