This week in Diamond Shavings: Baby boomers are shopping the most online. Graff buys Manhattan building. And diamond prices are going up. All below.
Peter Engel stepping down as president of Fred Meyer Jewelers.
The middle class is stressed, and the pandemic isn’t helping.
– U.S. retail sales fall again.
– What six charts say about the pandemic’s effect on retail.
– Baby boomers dominating online shopping.
– How Shopify became the “new retail empire.”
Ben Janowski looks at how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect jewelry.
– Saks CEO calls luxury shopping “comfort food” during pandemic.
– When will the diamond industry recover from impact of COVID-19?
De Beers institutes biggest price increase in years.
– Alrosa raises prices, too.
– Production restarts at Ekati diamond mine.
The origin of diamonds can be fingerprinted, study shows.
– Four companies team up to trace 30 ct. diamond.
Younger consumers still like diamonds, survey says.
Secondhand diamonds surge ahead for “purposeful purchasing.”
– Fast Company: How sustainable is secondhand?
Swiss horology is learning the value of collaboration.
Audemars Piguet North America names new CEO, Ginny Wright.
Ashi Diamonds appoints Steve Woodyard as sales rep.
WJA appoints Susan Chandler president-elect.
Diamonds Do Good appoints Rebecca Foerster president.
Union warns Debswana not to lay off any workers.
Army-linked Anjin grabs richest mine claim in Zimbabwe.
Swiss court to rule in Steinmetz corruption trial.
Trapped Chinese gold miners have to wait 15 more days for rescue.
Jeweler Cathy Butchart dies.
Graff International buys Madison Avenue building.
Mytheresa debuts as public company.
Dallas brand Allie + Bess grows to $1 million revenue.
Crowdfunding dwindles for startup watchmakers.
Barneys at Saks store opens.
Kentucky jeweler tries to help local restaurants.
Kamala’s pearls and other memorable jewels from Inauguration Day.
– President Biden’s favorite watches.
– Facebook group wears pearls in sisterhood with Harris.
– Youth poet Amanda Gorman’s jewelry carries potential significance.
Tiffany Trump gets 13 ct. engagement ring from Dubai.
Maria Sharapova’s is only 5 cts.
Couple hold doggie poop bag for engagement ring photo.
Brides on how to buy an engagement ring online.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine