Diamond Shavings is 50 percent more influential than Pablo Picasso and Stanley Kubrick
This week: Has Signet become a credit company? How millennials may save the diamond industry. De Beers and Botswana partnership looking shaky. All below.
Concerns raised over Signet’s credit portfolio.
Signet introduces new diamond sourcing initiative.
U.S. jewelry business discontinuances rose 11 percent in 2015.
How millennials’ late marriages may help industry.
– Jezebel not so sure.
– Inside the same-sex marriage market.
– New “millennial-friendly” jewelry brand: AUrate.
– Top trends expected to drive retail.
Why consumers pay less for “tainted” rings.
Saks Fifth Avenue opening jewelry-only store, report says.
Michael Hill’s U.S. sales fall.
Big diamond jewelry ruled the 2016 Grammy Awards.
Swiss watch exports fall again in January.
– Shipments of smartwatches overtake Swiss watches, study says.
– Second Apple Watch may not come until September.
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission investigating Pandora.
Report: CVD diamonds sold with natural GIA reports.
– Listing pulled off Alibaba.
De Beers doesn’t want to push diamond market “too far.”
– Rapaport advises “caution.”
– Angola wants to stabilize diamond prices.
Israeli diamond sector still in “crisis.”
– BBC report on India’s diamond sector (video).
– Indian government looking at tax benefits for diamond sector.
“Uncertain future” for De Beers–Botswana deal.
De Beers cutting 365 jobs at South African mines.
– Union “disgusted.”
– Company responds.
Anglo American to focus on De Beers.
– Bonds cut to “junk” rating.
– South Africa wants black investors to buy shares.
– Company buys back bonds.
– A “requiem for Anglo.”
De Beers wants to flood Snap Lake mine.
Namibian diamond beneficiation needs more support, study says.
Dubai pushes to readmit Venezuela into the Kimberley Process.
Reese Witherspoon settles jewelry lawsuit.
Garrard appoints new CEO.
Janice Winter named CEO of Misahara.
Diamond Producers Association announces new execs.
Dallas jewelry store owners arrested for alleged fencing.
Cy Fredrics opens store in Chicago.
Alex and Ani celebrates $30 million in charity donations.
Imelda Marcos’ jewelry to be auctioned.
Gemfields partners with New York Fashion Week.
Lucapa recovers 404 ct. diamond in Angola.
Signet delists from London Stock Exchange.
$500,000 in jewels stolen from Florida jewelry store.
Man’s fiancée steals $2.1 million in jewels after breakup.
Business Insider on how to spot a fake diamond.
Huffington Post on the “invention” of the engagement ring.
ABL Advisor/White Pine: Lenders don’t appreciate jewelry industry’s volatility.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.