This week: Snow promotion store gets robbed.… Do smartwatches have a reason to exist?… Author buys ring to get engaged to herself.… All below.
Signet sees 5 percent jump in holiday comps.
– Stock falls.
Zale sees 2 percent jump in holiday comps.
Tiffany & Co. holiday comps rose.
– Authorized Tiffany doc in the works.
Traffic counters call holiday “decent, but not great.”
Macy’s lays off 2,500 people.
Photos of decrepit Sears spark Twitter spat.
– Retailer needs “new leadership.”
J.C. Penney leaves analysts wondering about holiday sales.
– One analyst keeps the faith.
Samuels Jewelers gets $10 million loan.
Neiman Marcus CEO “not worried about debt load.”
Overstock.com fined $6.8 million for misleading price comparisons.
Insurer nixes jeweler’s snow promotion payouts.
Company develops “affordable” synthetic diamond screener.
– Can new synthetics fool detection devices?
– My thoughts: The need for a natural/lab-grown diamond dialogue.
Wearable tech “will be as big as the smartphone.”
– Fossil spin-off plans high-end smartwatch.
– Pebble emulating Rolex with new steel model.
– Smartwatches have no reason to exist.
– Google Glass: A bridal accessory?
Will 3-D printing revolutionize jewelry?
Ten reasons “gold bugs lost their shirts.”
– Will gold be 2014’s comeback kid?
Helzberg vet now at Bed Bath & Beyond.
Former De Beers CEO now heading Givenchy US.
World Gold Council promotes Sally Morrison.
Blue Nile vice president of operations resigns.
Longtime Ohio jeweler Fred Weber retires.
Former GIA governor Bert Krashes dies.
D.C. circuit judge to hear challenge to conflict minerals rule.
Court tosses W.B. David claim against De Beers.
In Zimbabwe, local families “barricaded by mines.’’
Chow Tai Fook revenue up 26 percent.
– Avi Krawitz: China’s economy slowing.
Rio Tinto’s India mine to open in 2019.
D’Orazio and Associates opens New York City office.
Jewelry designer/Ralph Lauren’s niece was drunk and disorderly on a plane.
Jamie Chung flashes huge diamond.
– Vampire Diaries actress shows off ring.
What jewelers can learn from social media in 2013.
– Are “old-fashioned social relations” better?
Jewelers make list of “least stressful careers.”
Gold and diamond soap has special powers.
Drunken driver concealed stolen jewelry “in his rectum.”
Public Radio International profiles man who “counterfeits the world’s most expensive diamonds.
– Financial Times on diamonds from Antarctica and lab-grown diamonds. (Reg. req’d)
– Huffington Post on cushion-cut diamonds.
– The New York Times essay on buying an engagement ring for oneself.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Connect on Facebook and Linkedin.
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine