Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.
There’s always been a lot of talk about the Diamond Producers Association, given how many people in our industry have their hopes pinned on it. Well, that group is going through a lot of changes—with the main one being, it’s no longer called the Diamond Producers Association. It’s now the Natural Diamond Council.
On our latest Jewelry District podcast, editor-in-chief Victoria Gomelsky and I interview David Kellie, the new head of the NDC. Among the things we cover:
– So, why’d you change the name anyway?
– How much of a threat are lab-grown diamonds?
– Is the NDC cutting back its advertising?
– What can we learn from past diamond campaigns?
You can hear it all here.
And while you’re at it, check out our previous podcast with Kate Peterson, CEO of Performance Concepts. She’s filled with great tips on how retailers can safely open and survive the current pandemic.
This week in Diamond Shavings: Walmart’s partnership with Shopify might be a game changer (for Amazon). EBay execs accused of horrifying revenge scheme. And the rich people “stress-shopping” diamond bracelets. All below.
Ben Chavis on Black Lives Matter and the jewelry industry.
– A “call for much-needed change.”
– Fashion and jewelry brands start fund for BIPOC-owned businesses.
– Ten BIPOC influencers you may not be following (yet).
– Customers want retailers to do the right thing.
May retail sales surged 17.7%—the biggest one-month spike ever.
– Retail is open, but “workers aren’t rejoicing.”
– A lot of consumer spending is still online.
– Will the good retail sales last?
Tug at consumer heartstrings this holiday, survey says.
– How COVID-19 will transform jewelry sales (video).
Three ways the pandemic “will change retail forever.”
The rich have stopped spending, and it’s tanked the economy.
– Bloomberg: How luxury’s rules have changed.
– The Economist: Luxury companies have to “rethink their business model.”
– Pam Danziger thinks the “rich will be back.”
New York Times: Some people are stress-shopping bracelets.
– FT: Diamonds sales “freeze.”
– Is the “naturalness” of diamonds really a selling point?
Bloomberg: New York City’s Diamond District has kept on trucking.
Walmart’s partnership with Shopify is “a big deal.”
Target is raising its minimum wage to $15.
Who will come to J.C. Penney’s rescue?
– J.C. Penney executives dumped their stock.
– Company begins liquidation sales in 37 stores.
Neiman Marcus “on track” to exit Chapter 11 by fall.
Francesca’s warns it may go out of business.
Taubman wants to salvage merger with Simon Property Group.
Dominion Diamond sues Rio Tinto, its partner in Diavik.
De Beers sight opens with viewings in Antwerp.
Rapaport announces price sheet is weekly again.
Alrosa’s book building for Eurobond issue is complete.
Chow Tai Fook’s public float increases.
Rosy Blue cofounder Arun Mehta dies.
Jewelry designer Yupadee Kobkulboonsiri dies from COVID-19.
Oregon jeweler “Pete” Keating dies.
Swatch shakes up executive team.
Christopher Designs appoints director of marketing.
Kendra Bridelle becomes VP of sales at Judith Ripka.
Emma Watson joins the board of Kering.
Natural Diamond Council appoints VP of retail.
Jeweler Joseph DuMouchelle expected to plead guilty to fraud charges.
How former eBay executives made life hell for critics.
Jeweler shot in the neck outside his Brooklyn, N.Y., home.
Three men charged in violent Connecticut jewelry store robbery.
Reuters fact-checks video of looting of jewelry store (and finds it false).
Tons of Congo gold is smuggled out.
– Why gold is the “new conflict commodity.”
Luxury jewelers are “paving the way” in ethical jewelry.
Another “failed reform cycle” for Kimberley Process.
ABN Amro thinks silver will outperform gold.
Women’s watches are finally getting attention of watchmakers.
WJA announces 2020 Female Veteran Grant winner.
There are now diamond-covered face masks.
Jeweler accuses Chauncey Gardner-Johnson of stealing $25,000 watch.
Judge orders Adrian Broner to pay nearly $600,000 to jeweler after check bounced.
Raven-Symoné’s turquoise engagement ring.
New Zealand dairy farmer wins rare green diamond.
Retailer specializes in items (including jewelry) from unclaimed baggage.
Money on how to buy an engagement ring.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Please, socially distance and wear masks. Wishing a safe and healthy weekend to all.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine