Hey, everyone. On Aug. 10 at 2 p.m. ET, I will be participating in a webinar titled “How to Write a Book,” hosted by our friendly competitors at National Jeweler talking about my mystery novel and its follow-up, coming in February. Also participating will be industry notables—and (of course) authors—Bill Boyajian and Marion Fasel. Should be fun, and maybe I’ll even learn something. Sign up here!
This week: The luxury goods market goes nuts. How will the COVID-19 delta variant affect retail? Does a straw give you tangle-free jewelry? All below.
JTV-backed Jedora hopes to become jewelry e-tail’s one-stop shop.
JCK update: The Las Vegas show’s a go!
– Webinar on Vegas shows (video).
– IIJS to hold first physical show since pandemic began.
Piercing Pagoda changing name to Banter, adding non-kiosks.
What the delta variant means for retail.
– Retail stocks hit.
– Walmart takes action on masks and shots.
– Amazon does not, out of fear of losing workers.
Another shipping crisis looms, possibly disrupting supply chains.
It’s a luxury goods spending spree.
– Travel curbs leading ultrarich to splurge on luxury.
– Luxury sales have been strong, but brands shouldn’t let guard down.
Idex: Diamond prices up 10% year over year.
– Yahoo Finance Australia talking up diamond investment.
– Big rebound in diamond sales for Debswana.
– Rapaport interviews De Beers CFO.
June watch sales soar 71% over same month in 2019.
Lab-grown diamond awareness high, understanding low, Plumb Club finds.
Signet says dual milestones will firm up finances.
– Signet completing termination of U.K. pension plan.
Incredible story of journalist harassed by eBay.
The antique jewelry market has a counterfeit problem.
CBP in Louisville, Ky., finds $5 million in counterfeit goods.
Battle with Ohio pawnshop and victim’s stolen jewelry still going seven years later.
London Times says Dubai supplanting Antwerp in the diamond trade. (subscription required)
Worth-reading interview with Brad Brooks-Rubin at Ethical Metalsmiths.
“Rolex rippers” targeting elderly men at golf clubs.
JA selects Bob Moeller as new board chair.
Richemont changes board.
Industry icon and longtime buyer Margie Bucki dies.
Surat diamond buildings will have no 13th floor.
The secret meaning behind Meghan Markle’s necklaces in 40th birthday video.
– Could Meghan send demand for celestial jewelry sky-high?
Did Ben Affleck commit a cardinal jewelry sin?
– How Jennifer Lopez made her relationship “Instagram-official.”
– Ben and Jen doing some “serious jewelry shopping.”
– Remember the Bennifer pink?
Diamond hunter Charles Fipke sues condo developers.
Fifty million Omega fans hit YouTube to watch Olympic ad.
The influence on Islamic art on Cartier jewelry.
Can a straw give you tangle-free jewelry? (video)
The Onion “interviews” people about the diamonds-for-pebbles heist.
The Today show interviews Madeline Fraser of Gemist.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend…
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine