I will be on vacation next week, and this feature will not run. Happy Passover, happy Easter, and Ramadan Mubarak to all who celebrate.
This week: Will store closures pick up? How the Ukraine invasion might tone down the watch business. Plus, way too much info on J. Lo’s ring. All below.
Jewelry sales stayed strong in March, Mastercard says.
– The luxury business comes back to the United States.
– Cartier CEO doesn’t see rising prices as a problem.
Lots of store closures expected in next five years following pandemic pause.
– Why the “mall is not dead.”
Hearts On Fire appoints Rebecca Foerster as president.
Signet eliminates chief merchandising officer role.
David Hurley appointed deputy CEO of Watches of Switzerland Group.
Vrai cofounder Vanessa Stofenmacher founds new e-tailer devoted to milestones.
Anisa Costa leaves Tiffany & Co. and its foundation.
Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council sounds “alert” about U.S. Alrosa sanctions.
– Is India the Russian diamond industry’s lifeline?
– Haaretz: Or maybe it’s Israel.
– Russian diamond dilemma may spark more supply chain transparency.
– Martin Rapaport/Business Insider agrees.
– May cause more “subdued” Swiss watch designs.
– LVMH confident about finding other sources.
– Alrosa ejected from World Diamond Council, Irish stock exchange.
Voices on the diamond industry’s human rights record.
Why this man feels responsible sourcing is irresponsible.
– The Zoe Report on decoding “sustainable engagement rings.”
– Brad Brooks-Rubin on how companies should make ESG claims.
Mining’s image so toxic Red Cross won’t accept its donations.
Why “mined diamonds are still king.”
De Beers cautious despite April sales surge.
– Rapaport magazine talks with Stephen Lussier.
Zimbabwe president says states should stop exporting rough gems.
Thousands of Etsy sellers strike over company’s fee and policy changes.
Franchise Group joins bidding for Kohl’s.
– CEO says settlement with activist investor is “unlikely.”
Indian jewelry chain files draft papers for IPO.
Close Nirav Modi associate arrested, may “spill the beans.”
Thailand investors conned into fake jewelry business.
Luxury retail jeweler Michael Moser killed in outlet mall shooting.
Colored stone expert, wholesaler David Patterson dies at 89.
Interview with CEO of Watchfinder.
The charm necklace “grows up.”
Why many jewelers prefer Manhattan.
Georgia jeweler selling $1 million chess set.
#HandinHand auction brings 10 Black jewelers together to fight hunger in Ukraine.
Jewelers of America: Artistry and detail won in 2022 CASE Awards.
Sofia Richie collaborates with U.S.-Egyptian jewelry label Jacquie Aiche.
Tanishq brings jewelry collection to life with 3D billboard in Mumbai.
Peter Smith: “Johnny Cash was a salesman.”
All about J. Lo’s rare green diamond ring.
– Ben and Jen have made “engagement ring history.”
– Dealers on alert for green diamond weeks before J. Lo proposal.
– Experts weight in on its rarity.
8 ct. pink diamond sells for $6.8 million.
Christie’s to offer Red Cross diamond for third time in over a century.
Betty White’s wedding ring can be yours.
Victoria Beckham repurposes very special diamond for son Brooklyn’s wedding.
Cardi B’s son already has diamond chain to match his name.
Kendra Scott announces new watch collection.
Tiffany exec turns cryptopunk NFT into jewelry.
New film tells story of French jeweler during Nazi occupation.
New book tells rags-to-riches story of diamond tycoon Govind Dholakia.
Jeweler Theo Fennell has written a book.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a great weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine