This week: Inside De Beers’ corporate vaults. Sexism in the jewelry business. And a jeweler’s billboard raises protests. All below.
De Beers buys out LVMH, now owns all of retail chain.
– Avi Krawitz: New De Beers concerned about “building its brand.”
Interview with president of Alex and Ani.
The “retail apocalypse” has come.
Sears fears the end is near.
– CFO: We’re still a viable business.
– Vendors pulling back.
– CEO Lampert has “extracted significant value” from company.
Signet still has “credit book problems.”
“Secret sexism in the jewelry industry.”
Tiffany’s e-commerce opportunities.
– Analysts like Lady Gaga line.
Rogers & Hollands launching outlet division.
Sales of silver jewelry grew in 2016.
Baselworld sees exhibitors fall 13 percent.
– Watchmakers expect U.S. markets to be “challenging.”
– U.S. sales have “wilted.”
– Brands “cautious.”
– FT: Industry hopes worst is behind it.
– Swiss watchmakers: Smartwatches no longer “existential threat.”
– The New Yorker: “Confessions of a watch geek.”
The New York Times/JCK editor-in-chief: Swiss watchmakers consider selling online.
– Piaget selling over Net-a-Porter.
Dominion in merger talks with Stornoway: report.
– Board turns down takeover.
– Shareholder battle coming?
– “New chapter” for Canadian diamonds?
Pink Star goes up for auction again.
– Rapaport to India: Scrap diamond import tax.
– Rapaport speech called “divisive, belligerent, and insulting.”
– Prime minister says India should become trading hub.
– Conference ends on optimistic note.
Indian Congress suspicious of Rio Tinto’s withdrawal from Bunder.
Bloomberg goes inside De Beers’ vaults.
Former Scio Diamond chair charged with corporate fraud.
Man caught trying to smuggle 1,000 diamonds into China.
Rolex introduces “shiniest” watch.
Graff’s new watch has no diamonds.
The revival of “secret watches.”
DKNY launches smartwatch line.
De Grisogono develops Facebook “botler.”
Elle partners with Yurman for branded Facebook video.
Writer invents “the engagement game” to secure proposal.
“New wave of feminism” is anti–engagement ring.
Is Selena Gomez launching a jewelry line?
Jeweler Catbird launches Los Angeles pop-up.
Hot jewelry trend: bejeweled…well, you’ll see.
Protest over North Carolina jeweler’s billboard.
FT on big diamonds.
The Wall Street Journal has diamond-buying basics. ($)
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn.
(Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine