This week …Valentine’s Day and jewelers make beautiful music together … Marange diamonds and the Zimbabwe government create a far-less-lovely sound … And Reuters tries to play matchmaker for Zale and Sterling … All below …
Jewelers term Valentine’s Day decent.
– National Jeweler somewhat more upbeat.
Blue Nile slashes prices as sales, profits fall.
– Is site’s market share falling?
– Stock tumbles.
– Analyst raises rating.
– Investor presentation audio. (Interesting, but long.)
– My thoughts: No longer in denial?
Reuters speculates about Zale/Signet merger.
– My thoughts: Still a bad idea.
– Sterling promotes Hrabak. Montalto retires.
Some 17 percent of men would want “man-gagement rings.”
How Target collects shopping information. Interesting.
Retailers shut Facebook stores.
Macy’s hiring 4,000 full-time employees next year.
Sears to lay-off 100 employees.
Indian diamantaires chosen as consul generals.
– Times of India worried about Chinese “threat.”
Graff Diamonds preparing $1 billion Hong Kong IPO.
Diamond thieves arrested in Hong Kong.
Edahn Golan: U.S. diamond figures show money laundering.
Global Witness releases new report linking diamonds to Mugabe.
– Zimbabwe prime minister urges “transparent” trade.
– Avi Krawitz: De Beers “needs to take stand.”
– A response from Diamond Intelligence Briefs. [$$]
Chaim Even-Zohar on the new KP chair.
– CNN interviews Milovanovic.
Sowind Group announces new president.
– PPR revenues rise.
Hearts on Fire announces new design director.
Jewelers of America announces staff changes.
JCK Fund announces grant winners.
Grunwald D Fine Jewelers closes.
Argyle underground mining delayed a year.
De Beers still holds some Botswana government diamonds.
Diamond taxes hurting Namibia?
Dead poodle’s diamond collar stolen in French cemetery.
– Forbes article on selling diamonds includes a quote from yours truly.
– Fashionista on top engagement ring trends.
– Yahoo Financially Fit on buying an engagement ring. (Video)
From the Blog:
Hope all my U.S. readers have a great President’s day weekend …
– Get blogs and news every day in JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Connect on facebook and linkedin.