This week in Diamond Shavings: A new diamond rush sparked by social media. Which online players will survive? And singer Post Malone gets diamond vampire fangs. All below.
Diamond jewelry sales on fire, according to NDC.
– Paul Zimnisky: Tight supply, surging demand should send prices higher.
– Argyle closure sparks rush for pink stones.
NRF says retail sales could grow 13% this year.
– Retail sales down, but accessories sales up.
– Consumers willing to rack up debt after COVID-19.
Small jewelry brands getting in on vintage jewelry craze.
What the jewelry industry can learn from Victoria’s Secret.
Trade centers confident about JCK attendance.
Signet Jewelers’ first quarter was “phenomenal.”
Neiman Marcus buys digital company amid “rebound.”
Fossil struggles in the age of the smartwatch.
How Amazon strong-arms partners across multiple businesses.
– Inside Amazon’s employment machine.
– Nine “devastating takeaways.”
Which online players will survive in the long run?
– Why the direct-to-consumer model is no panacea.
Avi Krawitz opens up about lab-grown.
– Mined diamond prices will hold a premium, Zimnisky says.
– Vogue Business looks at sustainability claims (subscription required).
– Daily Mail swallows those claims whole.
Third largest gem found in Botswana.
Fitch gives Alrosa a ratings upgrade.
“Diamond rush” grips South African village after discovery of unidentified stones.
– Government probes social media claims.
– Likely to end in disappointment.
The strange tale of Mehul Choksi gets even stranger.
– India puts out new charge sheet, claims he fled as he knew action was likely.
Federal prosecutors seize $1.8 million in diamonds and jewelry from Kentucky retailers.
Former Kimberley Process chair can’t enter United States.
Founder’s daughter steps down as head of Michael Hill.
Former Pandora, Yurman exec Patrick Bennett opens coaching office.
Ylang 23 co-owner unveils ear-piercing boutique in Dallas.
Dodging high-risk areas does not guarantee clean metals supply chain.
Bulgari is bringing back the serpent (which never went away).
IGI New York commits to becoming carbon-neutral by 2022.
Post Malone gets diamond fang implants.
Dubai police arrest maid after Facebook post shows her wearing stolen jewelry.
Jeweler is protected by “guard squirrel.”
From the Blog
From last year: Ben Chavis on Black Lives Matter and the Jewelry Industry
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine