This week: Could scandals in India lead the industry back to Belgium? Another celebrity sports a man-gagement ring. The mystery around Ivanka Trump’s business partner. All below.
– Gitanjali hit by resignation, tax raids.
– Authorities probe 79 (!) shell companies linked to Modi, Choksi.
– Firestar Diamond president arrested.
– Gitanjali’s Indian retailer closes.
– Modi can’t pay staff.
– Securities Board may call Gitanjali “not fit.”
– Gitanjali may lose sightholder status.
– Tax authorities raided Modi’s businesses last year.
– Banks starting to avoid diamond companies.
– Are all diamond figures inflated?
– More talk of lab-growns passed off as naturals.
– Diamantaires worry they will now be doubted.
– Shift back to Israel and Belgium?
– Some traders already wary of Modi, Choksi.
– Affair reminiscent of Jatin Mehta case.
– Modi’s Madison Avenue jeweler neighbors sound off.
– My thoughts: Why the scandal matters.
Insolvency proceeding start against Winsome Diamonds.
De Beers sees healthy demand for diamonds.
– De Beers diamond output to increase this year.
Interview with Alrosa CEO Ivanov.
A look at the Diamond Producers Association’s ads in India.
Surat to get new diamond bourse.
Why jewelry consumers prefer to shop in stores.
Retail execs sound off about the future of stores.
– Most retail employees receive no real training.
Swiss watch exports are booming—thanks to Asia.
– Five brands driving the recovery.
Overnight Mountings founder Morris Adwar dies.
Greenwich Jewelers founders Carlos Gandia dies.
Shinola appoints Shannon Washburn as president.
Christopher Designs promotes Margaret Becker.
Reuven Kaufman to head new DDC board.
Mysteries swirl around Ivanka Trump’s former business partner.
Former Zimbabwe mining minister refuses to answer diamond questions.
– Zimbabwe resumes diamond sales.
WJA now only giving out Visionary Awards.
Sean Kingston accused of not paying for jewelry.
Ed Sheeran and his fiancée both wear engagement rings.
First Lady’s engagement rings.
Scientists create “diamond anvils” to break atomic bonds.
The avocado ring box is kind of a real thing.
The New York Times profiles new head of Sotheby’s watch and jewelry division.
From the Blog
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Image: Getty Images)