This week: What happened to the Ebola-afflicted nurse’s engagement ring? Gold heads for second annual decline. Could Kim Kardashian’s Paper cover be a prime pearl promoter? All below.
James Allen sets up boutiques in 16 Sears stores.
Diamond overgrading “significant threat” to industry, Rapaport says.
– British groups agree.
47th Street blockaded after brazen midday theft.
– Did theft stem from feud?
-Thief left fingerprints.
– Block is like “Fort Knox.”
Singles’ Day is huge in China. Could it come here?
– Blue Nile, Chow Tai Fook participate.
Gold price headed for second annual fall in a row.
– Swiss regulators see manipulation.
Pandora’s U.S. sales jump 14 percent in third quarter.
– Earnings call transcript.
Borsheims’ cost structure beats other chains, Buffett says.
John Boehner effectively kills online sales tax legislation.
– Retail groups not giving up.
“Optimism” hits trade in the United States.
– De Beers exec foresees 4 to 5 percent annual price growth.
Graff ruby, Blue Belle of Asia set gem records.
Supercomplication sells for $27 million, the record for a watch.
– Buyer (agent) is consultant for Phillips auction house.
– Original owner dies one day before sale.
Zale outscores Kay on “digital IQ.”
J.C. Penney comps flat.
– Turnaround sputters.
– Responds to analyst concerns.
Sears investors cheer real estate plan.
– Is Florida development a preview of future strategy?
– “Death spiral continues.”
– Mike Myers does ad.
– Will J.C. Penney follow Sears?
Watch business shouldn’t worry about Apple, professor says.
– TAG Heuer is “smartest” watch brand, says LVMH chief.
– Real value is “in data.”
Luxury industry faces “perfect storm” in China.
Diamonds major U.K. export.
De Beers November sight: $550 million.
Namibia hopes for De Beers deal by end of year.
Angola to chair Kimberley Process.
– WDC president Asscher calls for unity.
– My thoughts: NGOs declare war on Dubai—and vice versa.
Zimbabwe wants investors to explore for new diamond deposits.
– Countries slashing royalties on locally cut diamonds.
– Anjin: Sanctions cost us $300 million.
– Diamond conference videos.
– Meeus complains about U.S. trade press.
– Group remembers victims of Chiadzwa crackdown.
Rio cuts 40 jobs at Argyle mine.
– But CEO loves diamonds.
Diamond revenue still critical to Botswana.
South African diamond trader refuses to answer Parliament’s questions.
Pebble mine “not dead.”
Sotheby’s spent $20 million on war with Dan Loeb.
Jeweler accused of taking advantage of military.
Pat Di Lillo named CFO at Birks Group.
Judy Meana named vice president of Panama Diamond Exchange.
Michael Kors, Fossil sign 10-year deal.
Roberto Coin opens boutique in Denver.
Fred Leighton launching men’s line.
De Beers retail web site now features more education.
Tiffany sets up a T train.
– Interview with new Tiffany design director.
– The rare Tiffany & Co. bejeweled guns.
A look at the Cartier exhibit at the Denver Art Museum.
Madonna’s Desperately Seeking Susan earring sells for $34,375.
– Baubles from the ’80s are back!
Will Kim Kardashian mag cover boost pearls (or was no one looking there)?
Michelle Obama receives diamond necklace from sultan of Brunei.
Andy Dick may have stolen a necklace.
Ebola-afflicted nurse had engagement ring incinerated.
Guy who works for Canadian diamond mine has charming proposal.
Man builds jewelry armoire to propose to girlfriend.
Former jeweler says Obamacare saved him.
Jeweler giving bands to Starbucks baristas affected by engagement ring ban.
English crooks drop dozens of diamonds on the street.
Diamonds found in meteorite.
-The Telegraph on pink diamonds being purchased by the rich.
– Dubai newspaper on diamonds for investment purposes.
– New York Times on women and watches.
– Foxnews.com calls Zimbabwe’s output “blood diamonds.”
– Newsweek: American-made watches get a second chance.
– TheGloss.com alternatives to engagement rings.
– Splitsider anatomy of the “why engagement rings are a scam” sketch.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine