First, on a self-promotional note, on April 10 at 3:25 p.m., I will be moderating a panel on the “The Journey Toward Responsible Sourcing, and Gaining Consumer Trust in the Retail Market” at the Gold: Transparency, Trends & Techniques conference in New York City. More details here.
And I will also be emceeing the American Gem Society Conclave next this month in New Orleans. Should be a lot of fun.
This week: Turmoil in diamond business. Verdict vacated in Alabama stone-switching case. And De Beers founder hit with “poo protest.” All below.
EGL network reaches agreement with former EGL International.
Today show takes aim at vacation-area jewelers.
Luxury marketers beware: Drought may be coming.
Net-A-Porter, Yoox Group to merge.
Luxury retailers start to embrace digital.
Online sales of jewelry grew 5.1 percent before Valentine’s Day, mobile shot up.
Pre-engagement (promise) rings become a “thing.”
Wanted: a diamond industry leader
– Good overview of rough market.
– Diamond crisis looms.
– Sight refusals exceed 30 percent.
– Indian diamond polishers lose sparkle.
– Sight mood “worse than last month.”
– Turmoil reigns.
Bankers need more transparency from industry.
– Report from Antwerp diamond forum.
Jewelry Industry Summit planned for this summer.
GJPEC calls for generic promotion of diamonds.
De Beers wants the Forevermark in 4,000 stores.
– Plans “aggressive penetration” into Indian market.
– Opens new lab, possible diamond auction facility in Surat.
De Beers announces 84 sightholders.
The latest undisclosed synthetic news: flawless melee found at Basel.
Antwerp agrees to pay more taxes.
– Antwerp Diamond Bank grants extension.
– Young diamantaires rally to save Antwerp.
Indian jewelry magnate buys stakes in gold mines.
India private equity firm like jewelry companies.
India auctions diamonds seized from smugglers.
Man held for cheating Indian trader.
Mugabe regime smuggling diamonds out via diplomatic bags.
– Zimbabwe recovers diamonds lost in Boston.
– Minister threatens diamond companies.
– Did vice president collude with Anjin?
– Anjin fails to pay workers on time.
– Bank tasked with plugging diamond leakages.
– Merger could be disaster, analysts say.
Lawyers, human rights groups rally around Blood Diamonds author.
Interview with head of Diamond Development Initiative.
– How the DDI can be “disruptive.”
Despite controversial law, Indiana jewelers open for service.
Verdict vacated in Alabama stone-switching case.
Arbitrator calls Signet discrimination memo “misleading.”
Activist investor raises Signet stake.
J.C. Penney shares rise after sales gains predicted.
– Company reorganizes C-suite again.
Hearts On Fire selects ad agency.
Lloyd Berger named executive director of sales at A. Link.
Katherine Bahamonde Monasebian named CMO at Tourneau.
Analyst: Apple Watch will sell 1 million in first weekend.
– Are customers really interested?
– How it will be displayed.
– High-end watch buyers get perks.
– FDA taking hands-off approach.
Amazon’s vision for new retail store.
Online jeweler offers variety of 3-D printing options.
Gold price may “bottom out” this year, forecaster says.
Michigan jeweler Brian Hobart dies at 47.
Massachusetts jeweler receives jail for consignment scam.
Buffalo, N.Y., jewelers criticize secondhand law.
Woman sentenced for trading tiger parts.
Jewelry heist suspects caught bragging on Instagram.
GCAL’s Palmieri testifies in insurance case.
Inside the battle for the Bahia emerald.
Nazi gold found in farmhouse.
Ervin Santana sued for unpaid jewelry.
Jimmy Fallon presents father-in-law with Bremont watch on Tonight Show.
Bieber, Gomez split over engagement ring fight.
Every item sells at Bonhams Lauren Bacall collection auction.
GIA studies the Blue Moon diamond.
De Beers founder hit by “poo protest.”
Ring proves link between Vikings and Islamic world.
– Huffington Post offers money-saving wedding tips.
– BusinessWeek profiles Dubai.
– Bloomberg doesn’t like Patek Philippe pilot watch.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend, and a happy and healthy holiday.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Connect on Facebook and Linkedin.
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.