On a personal note, on Monday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m., I will be giving a presentation for the American Gem Society New York/New Jersey Guild on “Current Challenges in the Jewelry Industry,” at Alfredo of Rome, 4 West 49th St. (between Fifth and Sixth Aves.), in New York City. The charge is $50, which includes dinner. Cocktails begin at 6 p.m. RSVP to marcelia – at – diacodiamonds.com.
This week … Some possibly maybe big changes brewing at De Beers … The holiday looks good, but not all jewelers do… Plus, smile! You’re on Botswana bathroom camera! … All below …
Forecasters predict strong holiday as consumer confidence jumps.
– NRF releases highest holiday forecast in years.
Sterling opening 60 to 70 stores.
– Investor presentation transcript.
– Signet announces new vice presidents.
Harry Ritchie closes ten stores.
Cartier, Tiffany make top brand list.
Indiana retailer Hofmeister emerges from Chap. 11. The inside story.
– Gary Rapp, another Indiana jeweler, recounts home invasion.
Jeweler sues city over gold buying law.
De Beers drops DTC, announces new chairman.
– Interview with Varda Shine.
– Interview with CEO Philippe Mellier. ($)
Richemont acquires watch, jewelry company SSVA.
Swatch keeps production in Switzerland.
Louis Vuitton to sell paper and pens.
Workers strike at Petra mine.
– Three days of sit-ins.
Zimbabwe losing “millions” from diamond sales.
– Chemical pollution in the water?
Diamond trader appears in Dubai court.
Australian man killed because of diamond deal.
Moissanite patent upheld.
Nets guard fights bling suit.
Moti Ganz re-elected IDI chairman.
Jewelers for Children elects board of directors.
Matt Runci to be honored by GEM Awards.
$3 million pearl necklace highlights Christie’s auction.
Botswana mine can use spy-cams in toilets. Eesh.
80 year old jeweler plans sky-dive.
Is JWoww happy with her ring? Inquiring minds want to know! (Actually, no one really wants to know.)
Time.com says don’t buy diamonds in October.
Glamour spotlights reader engagement rings.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.