This week: Certain diamonds change color in liquid nitrogen. A UFC fighter’s “blood diamond” history. Can a brand have a soul? All below.
U.S. jewelry sales surge in September.
Retailers will see a lot of bare shelves this holiday.
Why Signet won’t deal with supply chain disadvantages.
– Stock gets consensus hold recommendation.
Will the luxury market rebound last?
– Indian jewelers also hoping for post–COVID-19 rebound.
WatchBox to open five U.S. stores.
Rent the Runway files to go public.
– “Doesn’t think buying clothes is a cost.”
Should Macy’s sell its e-commerce business?
The logistics of sending back a product purchased online.
Industry figures appear in the Pandora Papers.
– Indian Express: Rosy Blue rejiggered offshore network after last exposé.
– Indian Express: Post-default, Antrix Diamonds set up web of offshore companies.
– Indian Express: Before Nirav Modi fled, sister set up offshore companies.
– Times of Israel: Steinmetz’s name found in papers.
– Zimbabwe Mail: Zimbabwe deputy chief secretary to the president set up shell company.
– De Tijd: Diamantaires still use offshore tax havens.
– My thoughts: Why the Pandora Papers matter.
NatWest admits money laundering charges after U.K. jeweler took its money.
New diamond inscriptions said to be permanent.
“Chameleon” diamonds change color when chilled in liquid nitrogen (subscription required).
Diamond prices soften in September.
Summary of Rapaport–JCK diamond breakfast.
– Sustainability conference videos.
Stuart Brown steps down as head of Mountain Province Diamonds.
Alexis Bittar is back with new jewelry brand.
Alex and Ani veterans jump into new jewelry brand.
Hugh Bell, who helped build Rio Grande, dies.
Rick Antona, founder of Houston’s Uptown Diamond, dies.
Jim Silfies, longtime Hamilton store director, retires.
James Avery opens three grocery store locations.
Neiman Marcus confirms data breach.
Pre-bankruptcy payouts under fire from government watchdog.
De Beers surveying Greenland’s ocean floor.
Murowa Diamonds finally decamps from local school.
UFC contender used to smuggle “blood diamonds” in Zimbabwe.
Jean-Claude Biver discuses the “soul” of a watch brand.
Lord of the Rings jeweler never got to see the movie.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine