Hopefully you’ve canceled most of your plans next week in order to take in the events of this year’s edition of NYC Jewelry Week (NYCJW). Held Nov. 15–21, it will feature a mix of virtual and IRL programming, loosely gathered under a broad but compelling theme: The Power of Jewelry.
NYCJW cofounders Bella Neyman and JB Jones have worked with a number of partners to explore this theme through three pillars of this year’s event: the Core Program, which focuses on presenting thought leadership the field of jewelry; the Art Programs, centered on artists and exhibitions, from contemporary jewelers to independent curators and educators; and the Community Program, which offers a platform for designers, brands, and institutions from around the world to showcase their talent.
The Power of Jewelry theme will also manifest in Here We Are (HWA), NYCJW’s strategic initiative designed to address the problems of widespread inequity and a lack of representation in the jewelry industry. As in previous years, HWA represents the diverse spectrum of emerging designers honing their craft in the United States and will offer the 60 chosen designers professional development, mentorship, and year-round programming to help promote their brands. For the second year in a row, works by HWA designers will be shoppable on a dedicated marketplace on 1st Dibs (one of NYCJW’s many sponsors).
As a special feature of this year’s HWA programming, Muzo Emerald Colombia and NYCJW have aligned on an exclusive collaboration to be unveiled in 2022.
- On Nov. 15: Through a partnership with Salon Art + Design, a presentation of the work of world-renowned jewelry artist and innovator Wallace Chan hosted by watch and jewelry journalist Ming Liu and Emily Stoehrer, the Rita J. Kaplan and Susan B. Kaplan Curator of Jewelry at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- On Nov. 16: “The New Establishment,” a panel discussion led by journalist Tanya Dukes with Khiry founder Jameel Mohammed, fashion stylist and Emmy Award–winning costume designer Zerina Akers, and Pat Dambe, head of corporate affairs with the De Beers Group
- On Nov. 17: JCK editor-in-chief Victoria Gomelsky in a virtual conversation with Tirath Kamdar, general manager of luxury at eBay, and Brynn Wallner, founder of dimepiece.co, about the luxury watch industry
- On Nov. 18: The launch of the Have a Heart x HWA edit, curated by Lorraine West
- On Nov. 19: A champagne reception at Bergdorf Goodman.
Top: Necklace by Fabio Salini. On Nov. 17, Vivienne Becker will host “The New Master of Modernism,” a virtual conversation with Salini.
Follow me on Instagram: @aelliott718Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine