Dominion Diamond Mines Announces Interim CEO

Canadian miner Dominion Diamond Mines has appointed Patrick Merrin to be its new interim chief executive officer.

He is the miner’s third CEO since it was purchased by Washington Companies for $1.2 billion in 2017, and its fifth in the last five years.

Merrin is currently Washington Companies’ chief operating officer of mining. A veteran of Canadian mining companies such as Goldcorp and Hudbay Minerals, he joined Washington Companies just last month.

Merrin replaces Shane Durgin, who has left to “pursue other opportunities,” according to Dominion’s statement. Durgin has been Dominion’s CEO since December 2018.

The miner added that a search is on for a permanent replacement.

Durgin replaced Patrick Evans, who joined Dominion after the acquisition and formerly headed Mountain Province Diamonds.

After leaving Dominion, Evans said that he was starting a lab-grown diamond producer and seller. He now tells JCK that he has abandoned that venture.

He now heads Monte Claros Minerals, which has the rights to a possible new natural diamond source, the Monte Carmelo kimberlite venture in Brazil. His new company hopes to be listed on the stock exchange this year.

Dominion’s new CEO Merrin said in a statement, “I am excited to be working more closely with the Dominion team and help realize our opportunities to improve near-term operating performance and continue to pursue its long-term exploration potential. I appreciate the confidence of the Washington Companies and the entire Dominion team as we enter an exciting new chapter for the company.”

Dominion Diamond Corp. owns stakes in two of three diamond mines in Canada’s Northwest Territories. It owns nearly all of the Ekati mine, which it purchased from BHP in 2013. It has the right to market 40% of the production from Diavik; Rio Tinto has the rights to the other 60%. Dominion also holds a controlling interest in the Lac de Gras diamond project.

(Image courtesy of Dominion Diamond Mines)

Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine

JCK News Director

Log Out

Are you sure you want to log out?

CancelLog out