This week: Retail rents are going up. The problems with 3-D jewelry printing. Man gives fake diamond in Cartier box. All below.
Signet, Forevermark teaming up to promote two-stone rings this holiday.
Holiday looking merry, sales-wise.
– Avi Krawitz: A lot riding on the holidays.
– Danielle Max: Jewelers should look at gift cards.
– Mark Boston: We need to promote jewelry as art.
Today’s bride wants a valuable customer experience (and diamond).
Retail landlords pushing rents up.
New credit card technology may mean more chargebacks.
3-D printing “causing rift” in jewelry world.
Luxury turf war looms online.
Amazon debuts Etsy competitor with 44,000 jewelry listings.
– Etsy shareholders panic.
– Site tries to stem defections.
– Crafters wary.
– Consumers search Amazon first, survey says.
Apple looking at smart ring.
– Apple Watch is being underestimated.
– A week with the updated Apple Watch.
– Reviewer likes Samsung Gear S2.
– What Google’s smartwatches get wrong.
– New in wearables: the Doppel.
– New smart bracelet claims yearlong battery.
Gilt Groupe cuts 45 jobs.
Hong Kong diamond firm goes bust.
Pink diamonds and the investment question.
– New crypto-currency backed by colored diamonds.
Christie’s selling 75 ct. yellow diamond.
– Sotheby’s auctioning 8.48 ct. Burmese ruby ring.
Bharat bourse bans synthetics.
– The World Federation is cool with it.
– Bloomberg profiles De Beers’ Gem Defensive program.
Peru’s 1,000-year-old jewelry industry is reinventing itself to attract millennials.
Discrepancy between De Beers and Kimberley Process stats.
The World Diamond Council responds to Amnesty report.
– European Parliament calls for greater diligence.
Diamond Development Initiative chair Ian Smillie responds to Time’s blood diamonds article.
South Africa’s diamond cutting industry is on the ropes.
Surat’s been helped by “community spirit.”
Locals skeptical about new Canadian diamond mine.
– Gahcho Kué is 80 percent complete.
The blue diamond that is darkening Thai-Saudi relations.
Lawsuit against Bank America for Zale deal going forward.
– Case might chill Wall Street.
Joe Thompson receiving 2016 GEM Award for Lifetime Achievement.
Mahesh Khemlani named president of Panama Diamond Exchange.
Suspects plead guilty in Jewelers Row kidnapping.
Report says EPA rushed to judgment on Pebble mine.
– Critics raise questions about the report.
Day’s Jewelers ruled hostile to Native American employee.
Who owns what: Guide to the watch groups.
Watch has no diamonds or gold, still expensive.
Tissot named official NBA timekeeper.
Alex and Ani debuts app.
David Yurman launches new ad campaign.
Maddie Ziegler gets diamond studs for 13th birthday.
Air purifier vacuums up smog, which ends up as jewelry.
Diamonds may track early cancers.
Watch worn on moon up for auction.
The story of four generations of Iranian jewelry.
Man gives fake diamond in Cartier box.
Does Roberto Coin’s ruby have special powers?
Fluctuating value of gold, as visualized by rings. Very cool.
Luxury Travel’s guide to New York’s Diamond District.
ScienceAlert on synthetics.
BBC has the story of a lost ring.
U.S. News and World Report has eight ways to save money on engagement rings.
StyleCaster compares to diamonds to moissanite.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.