This week: Are diamond engagement rings over? What did Robert Mugabe say to Nicky Oppenheimer? And a comedian’s advice for getting a big ring. All below.
Seven reasons this holiday will be great for jewelers.
Gold price hits four-year low.
– Miners selling at loss.
– Does Chinese hesitation signal further loss?
– Analysts divided on future price direction.
Mislabeled diamond causes GIA to suspend sealing service.
De Beers spending $100 million a year marketing Forevermark.
– Analyst: Financial market may soon recognize De Beers’ potential.
– Company’s market share will grow with Canadian mine.
– Bloomberg: De Beers presentation shows new transparency.
– Avi Krawitz breaks it down.
Some couples “over” diamond engagement rings, report says.
– Broker: Synthetics, liquidity the biggest threats to industry.
How many lab-grown diamonds are there?
– Profile of IIa Technologies’ Vishal Mehta.
App for diamond investing developed.
Will this week’s election make an online sales tax less likely?
What Amazon’s brick-and-mortar store means for retail.
– Techcrunch’s “trends that will revolutionize retail.”
– More thoughts on retail’s future.
Consumers don’t want smartwatches, survey finds.
– Apple Watch reportedly debuting in spring, indicating delay.
– Top model selling for $5,000?
– Great smartwatch apps—that don’t exist.
New “virtual necklace” is produced by light waves.
Sears Holdings considering real estate trust fund.
Groupon selling $1 million topaz.
Jewelry sales fall at HSN.
CIRCA appoints Laurence Grunstein CEO.
Scott Murphy named Jewelers Mutual CEO.
Adam Bossi named president of Shreve, Crump & Low.
Blue Nile CEO joins board of TheKnot owner.
Louis Vuitton wants ruling on “Red Gold” trademark.
Diamonds could help with Canadian mining slump.
United Nations panel says diamonds fueling war in Central African Republic.
Zimbabwe hopes for ruling on Antwerp goods seizure.
One thousand attend Zimbabwe diamond conference.
– Mugabe says diamond industry could boost his country. (So, um, do something about that.)
– Zimbabwe considering diamond exchange.
– Also wants to remove tax.
– Could fingerprint technology plug the leaks?
Diamonds on Nicky Oppenheimer’s Zimbabwe farm?
– Mugabe, Oppenheimer had meeting.
Michelle Graff asks if retailers care about World Diamond Council discord. (Judging from comments, answer is no.)
– Chaim Even-Zohar does.
Signet Jewelers grant funds KP function.
ABN AMRO realigns diamond and jewelry industry.
Indian diamond companies launch cleanliness drive.
Boston Red Soxer David Ortiz says he was sold fake diamonds.
Dinosaur footprints found in diamond mine.
Chart compares real diamond to Minecraft one.
Robbins Brothers tries to whip up social media on Starbucks engagement-ring ban.
How to make diamonds from peanut butter.
Victoria’s Secret unveils new diamond-covered bras.
Bloomberg on rough trading website Bluedax.
London Evening Standard on ethical jewelry.
The Wall Street Journal on diamond companies flocking to Botswana.
Huffington Post Comedy guide to getting a big ring.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.