This week: how millennials feel about lab-grown diamonds. Jewelry store battles immigration rules. Tapper’s is going to trial against insurer. All below.
Kay, Piercing Pagoda lift Signet to strong holiday.
– Eight takeaways from the conference call.
Pandora predicts U.S. sales boosted by online.
Macy’s laying off 4,500 after holiday, while J.C. Penney sees rising comps.
– Analysts sour on department stores.
U.S. gold jewelry imports reach seven-year high in October.
– Gold in worst slump since 1984.
Dorfman Jewelers closing.
– We’re still saying good-bye to a lot of good jewelers.
FTC seeks tighter rules on lead glass–filled rubies, rhodium plating, gemstone varietals.
Survey: Millennials mixed on synthetic diamonds.
The diamond industry’s “lost year.”
– Trade has become “insular and arrogant.”
– Indian jewelry exports fall to six-year low.
– Indian traders now have to use sales documents.
Two Dominion board members resign following investor criticism.
$15 million in rough diamonds missing in Canada, lawsuit says.
National Union of Mineworkers plans march on De Beers.
– De Beers: No layoffs are coming!
– Northern Miner thanks company for support of Snap Lake.
Landslide proves deadly at Myanmar jade mine.
– Why the industry is so deadly.
“Hot dangerous work” behind pearl farming.
Jeweler says immigration laws prevent him from visiting dying mother.
Nevada jeweler runs same-sex marriage commercial.
Lone female armed robber strikes again.
– Daily Beast on the Hatton Garden heist.
Man charged with harassing jeweler.
Former Connecticut jeweler charged with larceny.
– Creates “nightmare” for former store.
Tapper’s case against insurer can go to trial.
Jewelry company sues T.I.
“How Tiffany built a marketing empire.”
– Companies allies itself with Parsons design students.
John Hardy owner merging with LVMH investment arm.
Lord & Taylor, Saks owner buys Gilt Groupe.
Fossil plans 100(!) wearables this year.
– TAG Heuer director talks about new smartwatch.
– Consumers interested in wearables, survey says.
– Wall Street unimpressed by Fitbit smartwatch.
– Swiss watch company ad razzes Apple.
– Obama wears a smartwatch.
Black, Starr & Frost to host Esperanza diamond.
Tammy Kidder promoted at Stuller.
NCDIA appoints Barbara Wheat executive VP.
Janna Potts named chief stores officer at Target.
Greg Valerio honored by Queen Elizabeth.
Replica of Kate Middleton’s engagement ring pulled from royal gift shop.
Tory Burch shows off huge engagement ring.
Engagement ring needs to be cut off by firefighters after man’s relationship ends.
Man to give away diamond ring on Reddit.
Man finds wedding ring in ocean.
World’s largest blue sapphire found in Sri Lanka.
World Gold Council seeks Shariah standard.
The mystery of the golden tool.
eBay sellers get surprise gift cards.
The 24k gold–topped donut.
Catholic News Agency on blood diamonds.
Daily Mail visits lab-grown diamond factory.
Bloomberg looks at Armenian jewelry makers in Los Angeles.
NPR Marketplace on diamond industry’s issues.
Business Insider: Cartier Love bracelet is having a resurgence.
From the Blog
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.