This week: Endless Jewelry’s grand plans. A gold rebound? The millennials are causing problems in retail. All below.
Oscar, Oscar, Oscar
– Statement necklaces, big earrings, rule at Academy Awards.
– The five best and worst looks.
– InStyle breaks down the cost.
– Forbes on the best watches.
Elizabeth Taylor’s trust sues Christie’s.
Florida jeweler Mark Levinson dies.
LAGOS appoints new CEO, as founder focuses on design,
Famed SoHo boutique Fragments is closing; CEO tells why.
Online jewelry sales increasing, but not that much.
– Bloggers helping luxury brands.
“Rebellious” millennials turning into retail problem.
Endless Jewelry’s plan to become the next big brand.
Undisclosed synthetic diamonds discovered in Surat, India.
– Local association points to “big players.”
– De Beers warns synthetics threaten industry.
– Danielle Max: It happens again.
ABN Amro to clients: We want to know your transactions.
Bank: Gold will rebound in two to three years.
– U.S. sees less gold recycling.
– Will Apple watch affect gold market?
What will the Apple Watch Edition cost? Jewelry and watch people weigh in.
– 9to5Mac readers think under $4,500.
– Will never be a luxury timepiece.
– It’s “all about the bands.”
– Boutique rumored for Paris store.
– Looking at dedicated stores.
– Apple wants a watch “for everyone.”
– First Apple Watch ads run in Vogue.
– Developers show off new apps.
– CEO showers with watch.
– Holding event on March 9.
Diamond-studded Apple Watches already being sold.
Pebble launches new smartwatch.
– Earns $6.5 million in a day on Kickstarter.
Do smartwatches need to look old school?
Swiss making more smartwatches.
– Fossil making more watches in Switzerland.
New site promises layaway luxury.
Fabergé creating new Imperial Egg.
Avon launches cut-price diamond line.
Macy’s to compete against T.J. Maxx.
More awful results from Sears.
– Stores finally being updated.
– 22 reasons why the end is near.
British jewelers surveying labs about standards.
Namibian Cabinet to vote on De Beers deal.
– Interview with Namibian minister.
Dominion Diamond sales rise 3 percent.
Marange diamonds all but run out, Zimbabwe says.
– Diamond revenue was “plundered.”
– Diamonds turn local lives into misery.
Botswana cutting will rebound, official says.
Indian diamond companies improve cash flow.
Tiffany & Co. debuts TV ad with gay couple.
Pandora now recycling 81 percent of production waste.
Stéphane Linder to head Gucci Timepieces and Jewelry.
ToyWatch names former Rebecca Jewelry president U.S. CEO.
Laurent Dordet named CEO of La Montre Hermès.
Jenny Caro named JAPAC chair.
Diamond dealer paid sign holder $15 a day, lawsuit says.
Ohio jeweler not hit with theft charge.
Man swallows diamond ring while in custody.
New on Kickstarter: Where to store your ring.
Physicists create replicas of the Crown Jewels.
Lady Gaga first proposed to with ring pop.
Jeb Bush’s wife shops at Mayors Jewelers a lot.
– Took out loans to finance.
Post-Oscars, Neil Patrick Harris shops at Tiffany & Co.
– Cracked’s “honest jewelry commercial.”
– Deadspin has engagement ring buying primer.
– Bustle on how you’re damaging your ring.
– Brides on when you should take off your engagement ring.
– The Baylor Lariat writer says the ring isn’t the be-all.
– InStyle has a cat modeling diamonds.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.