This is slated to be the last Diamond Shavings of the year. Wishing a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate, and a happy and healthy new year to all my readers. Thanks to all for reading and continuing the dialogue.
This week: Salami sandwich helps solve diamond theft. Pandora goes after Alex and Ani in Australia. Facebook turning into Yelp? All below.
Holiday spending so far “average,” analyst says.
– Luxury retail’s big stall.
– Modest retail gains in November.
– Retailers pinning hopes on Super Saturday.
– Middle class is “losing ground.”
– Kohl’s staying open for 170 hours straight.
JCK, industry marketing experts, judge this year’s holiday jewelry commercials.
– Michelle Graff makes a good point about Blue Nile ad.
– Macy’s, Target score best on YouTube.
Huffington Post reviews New York City jewelers’ windows.
– Are elaborate holiday windows worth the effort?
– Is holiday music driving shoppers nuts?
Jennifer Heebner: Industry moving away from wholesale to direct to consumer.
Pandora warns Australian retailers: Don’t carry Alex and Ani!
Tory Burch lays off 100, now focused on digital.
Consumers can now trade in their jewelry—at kiosks.
Facebook launching Yelp-like service.
Hudson Bay eyeing Gilt Groupe.
– Rent the Runway now offering in-house brands.
– Net-a-Porter’s iPhone app will charge for content.
Swiss watch boom slowing down.
– Ariel Adams: Are smartwatches really hurting luxury watch sales?
– Wal-Mart to sell Apple Watch.
New York thieves stealing more luxury watches.
Diamonds, believed stolen from New York store, were really thrown away.
Indian traders reluctant to raise polished prices.
– Paul Zimnisky: Why the diamond crisis may end next year.
– Moody’s sees further diamond price cuts.
– Daniel Horowitz: The industry can’t survive without a custodian.
– Avi Krawitz: Should miners hold the line?
Ekati mine construction going ahead.
Debswana shutting mine.
De Beers owner Anglo American’s rating may be cut to junk.
De Beers, Namibia still talking.
– Namibia’s diamond factories “on brink of collapse.”
Alrosa finds 105 ct. diamond.
– World’s largest black diamond in Dubai.
Zimbabwe seeks diamond bourse.
Authorities still figuring out Winsome Diamonds saga.
Lab-grown diamond detection expo ends on a “note of optimism.”’
– World Gold Council hopeful about Asian demand.
China’s millennials are “happy to own nothing.”
New law lets companies mine in space.
The Jewelry Industry Summit opens registration.
Yoram Dvash elected president of Israel Diamond Exchange.
IDCA elects Ashok Sancheti president.
Jewelers’ Security Alliance honors Jewelers Mutual exec, federal agent.
A salami sandwich helped solve major diamond theft.
Family orders earrings, also gets iPhones and cigarette butts.
Jeweler auctions off ring stolen by Doris Payne to benefit children’s charity.
Apollo 17 chronograph garners $245,000 at the Christie’s Omega sale.
Margaret Thatcher jewelry auction outstrips expectations.
Local jeweler’s custom pin worn at Star Wars premiere.
Gwyneth Paltrow is the new face of Tous Jewelry.
Nicki Minaj flaunts diamond.
Justin Bieber flaunts gold tooth.
North West still wearing diamonds and fur.
Floyd Mayweather buys diamond watch in Dubai.
Roger Waters’ divorce stalemate over Rolex.
Denmark taking jewelry from Syrian refugees.
– California woman making pendants to aid displaced Syrians.
Couple loses R2-D2-theme diamond ring.
Resident reunited with lost wedding ring.
Two drown looking for jewelry in sewers.
Startup will fund your wedding, but you must pay back if you divorce.
People used to cope with grief by making mourning jewelry.
Japanese university banning watches at exams.
Diamonds may be key to MRI technologies.
45 of the year’s best reads that didn’t appear on JCKonline.
Washington Post on why engagement rings are so expensive.
The New York Times on investing in colored diamonds.
Barron’s says fancy colored diamonds will “sparkle” next year.
CNBC looks at Diamond Foundry/man-made diamonds.
Martin Rapaport, GIA, and I discuss lab diamonds on Philadelphia radio.
Vulture says the message of the Blood Diamond movie is “don’t buy African diamonds.”
Financial Times interview with Laurence Graff.
Bustle looks at wearing jewelry with a scarf.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.