In a few weeks, I will be emceeing the American Gem Society Conclave this month in New Orleans. Should be a lot of fun. If you haven’t registered yet, what are you waiting for? It’s a great event that’s always stimulating and educational, and it’s in New Orleans. Plus, you have Terry Bradshaw! (And if you haven’t had enough of me, I will also be speaking at the Conclave on “The State of the Industry” on April 23 at 3:30 p.m.)
This week: How to buy a used Super Bowl ring. Amazon files suit over fake reviews. And the diamond-covered donut. All below.
Spence Diamonds purchased by private equity funds.
Belk department stores considering sale.
London safe deposit box robbery may rank as largest ever.
– Thieves used crowbars, drills.
– History may be key.
– Detectives looking at insiders.
– Is it Panama Hat man?
– Hatton Garden has long drawn shady characters.
Police seeks suspects in abduction of Philadelphia jeweler.
– Shock on Jewelers’ Row.
– Somber mood.
– Video of red van.
– $10,000 reward.
Watch, jewelry category tops counterfeit list.
The Apple Watch to be available for preview, starting today.
– Watches already sold out on site.
– First reviews are mixed.
– Eight takeaways.
– Most in-depth review, from the Verge.
– Least in-depth review (but best summary).
– Did Apple flub the timing?
– London pop-up store next to Cartier, Gucci.
– Fashion world embracing it?
– Wired’s secret history of the Apple Watch.
– Can’t be sold in Switzerland.
– Will Apple Watch “be gateway drug” to other watches?
– “Ultra-luxury” Apple Watches.
– Possible threat from Google.
Ringly sports $40 million valuation.
– Fashion and technology increasingly working together.
How dealers are trying (and so far failing) to influence the Rapaport list.
Indian manufacturers cut production by 30 percent.
– Avi Krawitz: First quarter was “tough” for industry.
India may bar defaulters from trading.
Indian newspaper worries about mixed-in synthetics.
– Times of India picks up on JCK’s synthetics story.
De Beers considering live auctions in India.
Debswana to cut production.
Three biggest challenges for diamond industry.
Are demographics industry’s biggest challenge?
Industry embracing ethical sourcing to win over millennials.
– 32 percent of consumers spending more with responsible companies.
An embarrassment in the making for the Kimberley Process?
Zale faces class action for time shaving.
Business groups back Sterling in EEOC case.
Belgium ends long-running case against De Beers.
Cruise line may have to honor passenger’s diamond deal, court says.
Florida jeweler sued over unreturned 5 ct. diamond.
Amazon files suit over fake reviews.
Corvex ups stake at Signet.
Net-A-Porter minority owners look to cash out.
Sotheby’s for sale?
Why Sears’ new deals won’t save it.
Saks gets new president following quick departure of old one.
Scott Kay announces new sales hires.
Michael Aram appoints Terri Eagle CEO.
Bodoh named AGS deputy executive director.
Alrosa president nominated.
RJC looking for new head as CEO departs.
Tiffany & Co. appoints Costa chief sustainability officer.
The RealReal raises $40 million in Series D funding.
Michael Kors best watch brand for digital savvy.
Lord & Taylor’s Instagram campaign may have “crossed the line.”
ModCloth features transgender model.
Blue Nile founders recall early days.
Monica Rich Kosann debuts collection with Blue Nile.
Shinola to open store in Brooklyn.
Tiny Jewel Box plans to expand.
Peak gold depends on price, analyst says.
Dominion Diamond sales jump 22 percent.
– Earnings call transcript.
Alrosa investor day presentation.
The Christie’s auction may take in $80 million.
Diamonds are New York’s number one export.
GIA gives Namibian children insight into gems.
Zimbabwe cutting traders, polishers.
De Beers founder statue taken down at university.
De Beers Canada helps in rescue of missing hunters.
Duke’s big, shiny championship rings.
Super Bowl ring for sale on Craigslist.
– How to buy one, from an expert.
How does a real engagement ring stack up against a picture?
Canadian donut features “edible diamonds.”
Australian newspaper tackles the loved-ones-into-diamonds trend.
Orange Country Register interviews famed jewel thief Doris Payne.
The New York Times on gold watches.
New York Post notices men are wearing jewelry.
The Telegraph runs De Beers PR message.
Calgary Herald writer learns to hate her ring.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine