This week: Retail supercenters are dying. The man with the shirt of gold. What drives the gold price? All below.
Anna Martin leaves Standard Chartered Bank, joins GIA.
Jewelry crime falls in first six months.
Blue Nile’s sales fall as diamond prices rise.
De Beers retail down to four U.S. stores.
Rue La La for sale—and Gilt’s interested.
Jewelry sales sluggish for QVC, HSN.
Fuzion Creations acquires Nina International.
When GIA releases backlog, will diamond prices go down?
– Retailers should care about upstream issues.
What should we call cultured synthetic lab-grown man-made diamonds?
Ring Cam captures the big moment.
High school kids taking Diamond Council of America courses.
Seven drivers of the gold price.
America’s supercenters “dying a slow death.”
– Shoppers moving away from physical stores, to online.
In this age of bad customer service, good jewelers have an edge.
– May explore options beyond the blue box.
– Releases corporate social responsibility report.
J.C. Penney opening in Brooklyn—revamps jewelry boutique.
– New Target CEO also wooed by Penney.
– “Neither thriving or dying.”
Diamonds helping U.S. trade deficit.
Two leading Australian diamond companies close.
198 ct. rough found in Lesotho.
– The reason behind all the big finds.
Israeli network spent years smuggling diamonds.
Zimbabwe still has diamonds, minister says.
– Planned mine merger faces legal hurdles.
Talks between Namdeb and union break down.
– Severe blow to aging mine.
EPA hosting meetings on Pebble Mine in Alaska.
Palm Beach, Fla., jeweler sued again.
Damiani and Rocca merge corporate functions.
Twitter adding e-commerce?
Color Merchants adds to sales team.
Jewelers of America gets new board members.
Mary Beth Trypus becomes Bulova exec VP.
Fabergé wins case against soundalike restaurant.
Thief swallows diamond, passes it—then swallows it again.
Gold JFK coins cause rush in Denver.
Indian man wears shirt of gold.
Jeweler sends diamond into space.
Lindsay Lohan’s “mysterious” engagement ring.
Diamond imperfections could help with quantum computing.
The Stir offers advice on how to get the ring you want.
The Federalist calls for more CZ engagement rings.
From the blog:
What Should We Call, Um, THOSE Diamonds?
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Connect on Facebook and Linkedin.
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.