Fortunoff launches jewelry venture.
– Interview with people behind new company.
– Official court filing. (PDF)
David Kwiat dies. Our thoughts are with his family.
Marange-a-palooza! Diamonds now “un-banned.”
– First Zimbabwe diamond sale nets $71 million.
– “Big money” arrivesin country.
– How are profits being distributed?
– RapNet still banning Marange stones.
– South Africa hails.
– Government press upbeat.
– Miners pledge “transparency.” (Again, government press.)
– KP agreement brings country “out from the cold.”
– WSJ talks to monitors.
– Mining minister: Villagers first found diamonds.
Mob connection in diamond district heist ring.
Bidz 2Q results show loss.
Analysts: Blue Nile has “highest efficiency” in retail.
Alrosa sales, profits up. (PDF)
Namdeb eyes turnaround strategy.
If you’re not bored by this Naomi Campbell thing …
– Model maintains she told truth.
– Interesting FT article on her testimony (which doesn’t really mention diamonds.)
– Local group wants diamonds back.
– Affair’s given blood diamond issue “most coverage” in three years.
– Sierra Leone residents appalled at media focus.
– Will she be offered jewelry ads? DIC gets its say.
– Campbell does some post-testimony yachting with DiCaprio, in kind of a “blood diamond”-related celebrity hall of fame.
Houston robbery ends with salesperson beaten.
Jeweler stiffed by “potato chip queen.”
– Jacob the Jeweler sues Wycleaf Jean.
Russell Simmons fights with blog over “Blood Diamond Russ” nickname.
Woman drops engagement ring into surf. Double oy.
The Bachelorette engagement ring.
– AP story on Zimbabwe diamonds. Gets Rapaport’s former title very very wrong
– The entire industry seems to love this Wall Street Journal op-ed on conflict diamonds, except for me. Look at the
comments, it doesn’t seem to have changed many minds.
– US News says don’t buy diamonds.
– Real Deal article on Extell Gem Tower.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
– Send news, tips and comments to rbates – at –
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news
updates, and occasional office inside jokes: robbatesjck
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine