First, a personal note, I will be out for just about all of next week, so this will be my last entry of the year. (At the bottom, you can see the top posts from 2011.) Wishing everyone out there a terrific holiday and happy new year.
And we’re capping off the year with a big news week … A new CEO at Pandora … New sightholders at De Beers … And a court finally settles a case that is very, very old … All below …
De Beers antitrust class action: Finally put to bed?
De Beers announces new sightholder list.
– Most American clients make the cut.
– List “surprises Indian market.”
– London sightholders will get less.
– Mark Boston: “Still a disconnect.”
– Avi Krawitz: Will Diamdel expand?
From shoes to charms: Pandora announces new CEO.
– NASDAQ reprimands Pandora for sales projections.
Trade nervous about glass-filled ruby.
– Gary Roskin shows how to identify the stones.
Top ten retail jewelry trends of 2011.
– Top five luxury jewelry campaigns of the year.
– Edahn Golan: Are we ready for 2012?
ShopperTrak raises holiday sales forecast.
– Why shoppers “may pull back” in 2012.
Annual chain store productivity report. (Tiffany is number two, Sterling, number eight.)
– Macy’s “having best two years in a decade.”
Idex: Diamond rough on a “roller-coaster ride.”
– Fortune: “Why gold has lost its lustre.”
Bloomingdale’s pulls gold jewelry after probe.
Rio Tinto gets Indian mining lease.
The New York Times: Mugabe shortchanging treasury on diamond sales.
– Another Zimbabwe writer puffs up the country’s mining minister.
– Country pushes for cutting and polishing factories.
Anjin mine not sanctioned by European Commission.
Did BBC not report “good news” from Marange?
RapNet suspends member over Marange diamonds.
U.N.: Kimberley Process “too important to fail.”
Israeli diamond tycoons battle in British court.
Dalumi diamonds gets diamonds stolen, then must pay smuggling fine.
Diamond smugglers arrested in Azerbaijan.
Petra sells four carat blue rough for record price.
– Company now largest miner on London stock exchange.
Former ADB head joins synthetic diamond company.
AGS appoints new head of diamond grading.
Exec sues De Beers retail chain for discrimination.
More Leviev protests.
New J.C. Penney head’s secrecy “brings jitters.”
Amazon discounts diamond earrings.
Wisconsin jewelry store sparks Justin Timberlake engagement rumor.
Britiney Spears’ engagement ring.
– It cost $92,000.
– Jennifer Heebner: How to personalize the look.
Neiman Marcus once offered “bag of uncut diamonds.”
Someone drops ring in Salvation Army kettle.
Someone else finds big diamond in Arkansas.
Twitter helps woman find engagement ring.
The diamond weevil has diamond wings.
Japanese jeweler unveils gold Christmas tree.
They never tire of coating different objects in diamonds, do they? So to cap off the year on a classy note, check out this diamond-covered toilet.
From the Blog:
Based on readership stats, here are my most-read posts from 2011:
- Update on De Beers Class Action Settlement.
- How Warren Buffet Sells Jewelry
- The First All-Diamond Diamond Ring.
- The Zale Soap Opera Continues.
- (TIE) Interview with the President of Pandora, North America
- (TIE) GIA Symposium Blogging: People Don’t Trust Jewelers, and Their Websites Stink, Too.
Now, for a little holiday bonus … Last week I included a post on the “best diamond ad spoofs.” I am posting the best one, even if it’s a bit dated. Perhaps in the next year, our industry can truly be this proactive …
Once again, have a great weekend, happy Channukah, Merry Christmas, and happy and healthy New Year. See you in 2012.
– Get blogs and news every day in JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.@jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine