This week … De Beers makes it case to investors … A national sales tax inches closes to reality … And we say a sad goodbye to former JCK publisher Rick Bay, a true gentleman … All below …
Zale: It really is the world’s most brilliant diamond.
– Zale’s 2012 report card.
– Democrats prefer Zale, Republicans Kay.
Senators still hope to pass online sales tax this year.
De Beers says industry grew 4 percent this year.
– Full Anglo “Diamonds” presentation.
– Avi Kravitz: 2012 “a year of survival.”
Harry Winston will eventually spin off or sell retail division.
– Fipke mulling option to buy Ekati.
– Conference call transcript.
KP: A Plentiful Plenary
– Kimberley Process approves administrative support, no new conflict definition.
– JA “welcomes” reforms.
– India “relieved” at no definition change.
– Decision to lift Marange monitoring could prove controversial.
– Reuters on diamond smuggling in Venezuela.
– My thoughts: A mixed bag—as usual.
Business Week/Bloomberg: Diamond deals not helping Congo.
Sierra Leone diamonds “keeping children out of school.”
Significant increase in HIV/AIDS among Indian diamond workers.
Surat may face competition from China.
J.C. Penney worries about staff attrition.
– Good post about why Penney’s not cutting it.
– In “race against time.”
Target, Neiman Marcus collection “disappoints.”
Customs Patrol seizes counterfeit Rolex, Breitling watches.
Equity firm Apollo buys U.K. jeweler.
Closing (Retiring) Jewelers:
Norman Miller heading luxury group at Niche Media.
Former JCK publisher Rick Bay dies.
Bergdorf Goodman announces SVP for jewelry.
IDCA announces new executive committee.
Scio Diamond names new CEO.
Pantone names “emerald green” 2013’s color of the year.
6 ct. pink diamond fetches $6.8 million at auction.
– New auction record for a clock.
GIA opens lab in Tokyo.
Florida man finds 1.95 ct. brown stone at Crater of Diamonds.
Five bejeweled cocktails.
Jeweler loses lawsuit because ring required “superglue.”
Is Kanye West embarassed by diamond teeth?
Gold pills that allow you to … well, you’ll see. Amazing.
– The Harvard Business Review examines Tiffany’s relationship with Blue Nile.
– Minneapolis Star-Tribune profiles a local memento synthetic diamond manufacturer.
– Entertainment Weekly says diamond commercials “make you die inside.”
– Gawker notices moms comparing engagement rings.
– Financial Times blog profiles Alrosa.
– Fox Business talks to Christie’s VP head. (Video)
– Huffington Post on a “monster diamond.”
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend and a very Happy Hannukah.
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.