This week … It’s a ho-hum holiday … De Beers is here! … “Jeweler” called one of 2013’s least stressful professions. Jewelers do not take this calmly … All below …
Signet’s holiday comps rise.
– Stock hits 22-year high.
Zale’s holiday comps up, revenue flat.
– Stock jumps.
Tiffany’s holiday comps flat.
– Second straight disappointing quarter.
Holiday online sales fall short of expectations.
Afaze owner files chapter 11.
– Interview with executives: Forevermark diamonds graded by machine.
– Executives also speak to National Jeweler.
– CEO, executives address DMIA.
Anglo gets new CEO.
Can Gemfields become “the De Beers of gemstones”?
Chaim Even-Zohar on Spira’s court-ordered De Beers sight.
De Beers default not reintstated in W.B. David case.
Erica Courtney hires Adam Graham as CEO.
Sears CEO resigns.
Hearts On Fire announces new executive team.
Rahaminov appoints new chief operating officer.
Ben Janowski: Trends for 2013.
Avi Krawitz on “snakes and ladders” in China.
J.C. Penney downgraded; liquidity concerns mount.
– CEO wants to make Penney’s “a happening place.” ($)
Banks try to boost diamond industry confidence.
Task force set up for India to become rough trading hub.
Finder of diamond ring sues rightful owner.
Kimberley Process warned over CAR diamonds.
Angola tribal chiefs want “blood diamonds” case probed.
Diamond exploration continues in North Dakota.
Edmonton company revises “Polar Bear” diamond trademark.
Diamond studded A-47 founded in Honduras.
Fed Ex worker steals jewels from Manhattan store.
Jeweler called “least stressful job.” We knew readers would be ticked off about that one.
New app teaches guys how to propose.
– Piece on problems with the Kimberley Process in Surat in Foreign Policy. The author voiced what I consider to be a, shall we say, dramatic (meaning inflated) statistic about blood diamonds—that they represent 25 percent of world production—which has now been repeated by Salon and Jezebel. I’ve since had a lengthy email exchange with the author—he seems like a good guy—and I’m still processing it and hope to write something about all this next week.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine