This week … Will J.C. Penney close hundreds of stores? … Breast milk jewelry is apparently a thing … Is there a diamond mine hidden in Georgia? … All below …
J.C. Penney CEO resigns, replaced by predecessor.
– New York Times: Hubris “did him in.”
– First quarter sales may have fallen further.
– Board comes under fire.
– No “quick fixes” for business.
– Will it go bankrupt?
– Be sold?
– Be taken private?
– Close hundreds of stores?
– Still has lots of valuable real estate.
– Hires Blackstone to raise $1 billion.
– New CEO tries to calm vendors.
– Bringing back “high-low pricing.”
– Bon Ton exec taking over?
– Attracts “older, poorer” buyers.
– Shoppers react.
Michael Hill’s U.S. comps rose 4.8%.
– Questions about company ownership.
National Jeweler find big diamond sales increase.
– Jewelry sales set for big increase this quarter, says analyst.
Luxury consumers prefer Zale to Tiffany, survey says.
Tiffany opens polishing factory in Cambodia.
– CEO pay falls.
– Company raising prices for first time in two years.
– Signet insiders sell stock.
The Forevermark goes to Jared.
De Beers raises prices at last sight.
– Chinese demand driving prices up.
28 ct. D Flawless sets record at auction.
Gold prices fall below $1,500.
Unusual Ideas Week!
– Proposed NYC law threatens buyers of counterfeits with jail.
– Alex and Ani hopes to build “department store.”
– Wal-mart considers having customers deliver packages.
Indian dealers in Antwerp on tax evaders list.
– India says it will investigate.
Flydubai sends contraband diamonds to Azerbaijan.
Edahn Golan looks at offshore accounts.
Russian government to sell 14 percent of Alrosa.
– Alrosa, Sotheby deal may be blocked.
OECD looks at ways to go beyond the KP. Great!
Zimbabwe sanctions slammed in Dubai.
Zambia “does at Botswana” on emeralds.
Colombian emerald czar dies at 77.
Avi Krawitz on the Japanese yen and the diamond business.
Water shortage hurts Indian cutters.
Dominion now officially owns Ekati.
S & P downgrades Anglo American.
Seiko appoints new U.S. president.
Audemars Piguet appoints North American CEO.
Sterling appoints new PR VP.
Ruth Batson honored by IDCA in Vegas.
Nebraska jewelry store sells store to customers.
Hamilton closes its Lawrenceville, N.J. store.
Are diamonds hidden in Georgia?
Zale starts “Friend Your Mom” movement.
Tiffany starts Facebook campaign.
Angelina Jolie’s engagement ring.
Person makes ring box out of tree branch.
Woman finds brown diamond—on her birthday.
Another diamond-covered iPhone.
Jeweler acts as FBI informant.
Conn. jeweler caught in home invasion. Terrible story.
Bad idea: Man pawns wedding ring to pay prostitute.
Strange trend: ring tattoos!
Even stranger trend: breast milk jewelry.
– The Wall Street Journal on Antwerp after the Brussels robbery. ($)
– Someone complains to Consumerist about Jared setting.
– Vice on De Beers’ fight with Indian tribe in Canada.
– Even The Onion has its say about J.C. Penney.
– Slate compares movie voiceovers to De Beers ads.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.