This week … They’re searching for diamonds in Kansas … A Milwaukee jewelry fixture goes into receivership … Why Macy’s is hot, and Penney’s is not … All below ..
Silver, charms, diamonds lead Mother’s Day sales.
– National Jeweler finds sales “flat to up.”
– Centurion finds “solid gains.”
Retail sales tick up in April.
– Jewelry sales up 10% in March.
– My thoughts: High hopes for Vegas.
– Edahn Golan on “the Vegas promise.”
U.S. gold jewelry demand rises for the first time in eight years.
– China, India get gold fever.
Gold sinks below $1,400.
– Investment allure “starting to fade.”
Diamond prices to rise 6 percent for rest of decade.
Pandora’s sales, revenues rise.
J.C. Penney shows wide loss.
– Follows “apology” ad with thank you.
– Gets fourth logo in four years.
– Board not likely to be replaced.
– New investor presentation.
– Video of their new shops.
– Alex and Ani sounds off on J.C. Penney.
– My thoughts and 5 things I learned from the earning call.
Why Macy’s is the anti-J.C. Penney’s.
Wealthy customers increasingly trading down.
– Affluent customers don’t care if high-end brand goes “mass.”
Milwaukee’s Stein Jewelers goes into receivership.
Washington couple gets mad at Jared. (Video)
– Mervis Diamond steps in.
Harry Winston pays record $27 million for 101.73 ct. D-Flawless.
– Yellow diamond, pearl earrings sets record at Sotheby’s.
De Beers raises prices at sight, clients frustrated.
Lenders “tighten screws” on Winsome Diamonds.
– Bankers rush to Dubai to figure out why.
– Reports net loss.
Banks might tighten lending to Indian industry.
– Indian bourse filling up.
– “Swindlers” steal millions from Indian industry.
– Industry pledges help to smaller companies.
– Early release recommend for Indian dealers jailed in China.
– Tiffany may invest in Indian cutting factory.
Alrosa to sell shares this autumn.
Few takers for head of Russian precious stones ministry.
$1 million in jewels stolen from Chopard in Cannes.
Suspects denies guilt in Brussels diamond theft.
Frank Mastoloni dies.
Blue Nile appoints new board member.
Richemont head takes sabbatical.
– Company boosted by jewelry sales.
– Rupert overtakes Nicky Oppenheimer as South Africa’s richest man.
Head of LVMH watch and jewelry division robbed in Rome.
Signet stock hits 52-week high.
– So does Tiffany.
Tiffany raises quarterly dividend.
Zale shares rise.
New online retail strategy pushes in-store purchases.
Flash sites “have social media problem.”
– How Gilt kept its fanbase.
Corn starch could replace cyanide in gold extraction.
Woman accidentally flushes diamond down toilet.
Mindy Kaling loves jewelry.
Tori Spelling gets big diamond ring.
They’re hunting for diamonds in Kansas. (Video)
Lego does model of Queen with diamonds in her crown.
– MSN Money says diamonds “better investment than gold.”
– Public radio show Marketplace on the 101 ct. D-Flawless.
– Cosmopolitan writer brags about her cheap engagement ring.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine