This week: Why the ultimate smartwatch isn’t coming. Diamond District jeweler admits to being part of robbery scheme. Diamond-studded headphones by Dr. Dre. All below.
Robbins Brothers plans to expand, CEO says.
Why are banks leaving the industry, continued.
U.S. jewelry, watch sales rose 8 percent in 2013.
New GIA synthetic detector billed as “more accurate” than De Beers’.
– GJEPC wants traders to declare “natural diamonds” on invoices.
Target data breach may have come from vendor.
– Could cost retailer $1 billion.
– Michaels stores investigating possible breach.
Sam’s Club laying off 2,300.
– Sears Canada fires 624.
J.C. Penney hiking jewelry prices for greater discount, report says.
– Shares are plunging.
Activist investor grabs stake in “undervalued” Signet.
Sotheby’s, under investor pressure, issues dividend.
J.P. Morgan reports passive stake in Blue Nile.
E-tailer BaubleBar produces collection for Anthropologie.
Is Amazon.com a “charity” for consumers?
Canadian miner Dominion plans to sell gems online.
De Beers sees good demand from the U.S.
– Large price increases at January sight.
– Changing sightholder criteria.
Edahn Golan calls for lower rough prices.
– Avi Krawitz: Increases aren’t surprising.
95 ct. Type IIa diamond found in Angola.
How Petra can find things De Beers couldn’t.
Tiffany, Costco’s “battle’s just begun.”
Tiffany sues more than 200 websites for counterfeiting.
Cartier contests World Gold Council’s LoveGold registration.
Woman launches crowd-funding campaign to fight Buccellati lawsuit.
Why the all-in-one smartwatch isn’t happening soon. Worth reading.
– Second Galaxy Gear will have curved screen.
– Eight reasons watches are still worth wearing.
Watchmakers face craftsmen shortage.
LVMH watch, jewelry sales fall.
Watchmaker Raymond Weil dies.
Austin, Texas, jeweler C. Kirk Root dies.
Hatton Garden trader John Wright dies.
Encino, Calif., jeweler shot by brother-in-law.
Jewelry gangs smart and patient, ATF agent says.
Fifth Avenue Cartier robbed.
Diamond District jeweler admits to being part of robbery scheme.
– Malden, Mass., jeweler’s license suspended.
Indian community shocked by attack diamantaire in Dubai.
Indian diamond trader goes bust.
Winsome Diamonds appoints ex–Antwerp Diamond Bank official to board.
Terry Burman joins board of Abercrombie & Finch.
Stuller gets new VP of jewelry.
Interview with departing Varda Shine.
Swatch loses to Bloomberg over analyst call.
Auction of Ralph Esmerian’s art fetches $13 million.
Bodyguard stole millions in gems from Sultan of Brunei’s ex-wife.
Indian jewel thief said he did it for “social change.”
“Conflict mineral” rule be derailed by First Amendment.
President Obama wants minimum wage raised to $10.10.
David Yurman opening Minneapolis store.
Venture capitalist brags Richard Mille watch is worth “five Rolexes.”
Hope Diamond was once symbol for Louis XIV, the Sun King.
Diamond-studded Beats by Dre headphones.
– Huffington Post runs article by Rip Van Winkle Edward Jay Epstein that is a decade out of date.
– As is this article in a college newspaper.
– And more: Gizmodo calls diamonds “a total scam.”
– Lifehacker India on buying an engagement ring.
– New York Times Magazine profiles Sierra Leone gold mine.
– Miner on TV series Gold Rush finds a diamond in Guyana.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.