If you are in Vegas, like me (and most of the rest of the industry), I hope you come say hi today, when I will be giving three talks at the JCK Las Vegas show at Mandalay Bay.
My presentation Diving into the Industry Issues will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., at Tradewinds D. The talk will cover the changing consumer, lab-grown diamonds, the Internet, “wearables,” social issues, and who knows what else. Join me as I make many of the same points as I do on this blog, just talking really fast with a New York accent.
After that, I will be moderating a panel on Synthetic Diamond Disclosure at Tradewinds A, sponsored by the Natural Color Diamond Association, from 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
And then, I will be moderating the special session on De Beers’ Perspectives on the Diamond Industry, headed by De Beers CEO Philippe Mellier, at the Surf Ballroom, from 4 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. This kind of session has never been done before, and I’m as curious as anyone to see how it will go.
This week: Will Russian diamonds be sanctioned? Layoffs at Alex and Ani. There may be a lot of diamond planets. All below.
Signet completes Zale acquisition.
– Proxy battle went down to wire.
– Shareholder lawsuit motion defeated.
– Signet reshuffles executive ranks.
– My thoughts: Is Zale a fixer-upper?
Former David Yurman CEO now heading Fred Segal.
Swiss watchmaker Franck Muller buying stake in Roberto Cavalli.
Richemont targets broadband providers in fight against counterfeits.
Samsung plans stand-alone smartwatch.
– Microsoft smartwatch is cross-platform, identifies heart rate.
– First wearable tech device: The pocket watch.
The New York Post on the future of shopping.
Alex and Ani lays off nine in marketing.
De Beers CEO: We won’t be raising prices 5 percent a year.
Avi Krawitz on the opportunities offered by HPHT.
EU again considering Russian diamond sanctions.
– Antwerp braces for fallout.
– Third round put on hold.
Partnership Africa Canada investigates illegal gold, diamond trade in Dubai.
Angolan president’s daughter richest woman in Africa, due to diamonds.
New evidence of Zimbabwe’s inability to police diamond mines.
– Fresh wave of diamond looting.
– Workers go months without pay.
Will Cote d’Ivoire benefit from renewed diamond exports?
De Beers’ Snap Lake mine plans challenged by locals.
Activists says conflict minerals filings lack substance.
CIBJO and Fairtrade International sign agreement.
Wide range of views heard at Precious Stones Multi-Stakeholder Working Group Paris meeting.
South African resource minister Susan Shabangu out.
Indian companies’ shares surge after eased gold regulations.
– “Don’t take it for granted” duty will be lifted.
– Indian diamantaires discuss customs issues.
Former DGSE finance chief settles accounting fraud charges.
Former State Department conflict diamonds advisor joins GIA.
David Peters joins Jewelry Coach.
Ireland whiskey executive now looking for diamonds.
Woman finds pearl in oyster.
Gold coins found in backyard go on sale.
– One fetches $15,000.
Diamond dental implants may be the future.
Diamond planets may be common.
Golconda diamond doesn’t sell at Christie’s.
– 10.93 ct. ring sells for $1 million.
Marlene Dietrich’s diamonds sold at auction.
Justin Bieber beats Leonardo DiCaprio in auction for Bulgari diamonds.
The scoop on Kim Kardashian’s diamond earrings.
– The Daily Beast on diamonds and the Central African Republic.
– Reuters says Antwerp is under threat.
– Huffington Post interviews head of Gem Palace.
– Motley Fool on diamond investing.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine