First, a self-promotional note, on Saturday, June 2, I will be giving my presentation on the “Top Ten Hot Topics on Diamonds” (10 a.m.) Please stop by!
Later that day, I’m moderating panels on Empowering and Igniting Your Staff (2:30 p.m.) and Diamonds for Good (4 p.m.) The details on all the panels are here. And of course, I will be attending Sunday’s JCK Tweet-Up.
And now the news …
J.C. Penney to house Tourneau concept stores.
– Penney backtracks on pricing strategy.
– My thoughts: J.C. Penney and America’s addiction to coupons.
Chaim Even-Zohar: Undisclosed synthetics were Gemesis diamonds. [$] More on this next week.
– For those who aren’t DIB subscribers, check out Edahn Golan’s summary.
Sad news: Jacques Roisen dies.
Opinion: Tiffany, Signet will “eventually recover.”
GemEx reportedly wins concessions from Zale.
KKR’s interested in Rio/BHP mines fades. And De Beers’ grows.
Graff puts off IPO.
– Had claimed “tremendous interest.”
– Money would buy factory and diamonds from Graff.
– Is Graff preparing to leave the business?
Chinese jewelry retailer applies for IPO.
De Beers retail chain to open five stores in China.
– Interesting interview with Phillipe Mellier. Says De Beers was “close to dying” during recession.
– De Beers releases “report to society.”
Rupee’s decline hurting Indian diamond traders.
From Zimbabwe newspaper: Kimberley Process shoots down U.S. plot. Ugh.
– Zimbabwe cutters not happy with stone quality.
– Interview with Zimbabwe activist Farai Maguwu.
Bodies of ten illegal diamond miners pulled from mine.
– Diggers not put off.
Charles Taylor gets 50 years.
Diamond banks relocating to Botswana.
Christie’s: Martian Pink doubles estimates, and ruby snags world record.
Retired Mossad agent appears in Leviev trial.
– Leviev one of 50 most influential Jews.
Prophesy causes diamond dig in Israel.
Google Doodle honors Fabergé.
Forevermark introduces Center of My Universe.
Diane DeGarmo’s engagement ring. I don’t know who that is.
– Kiera Knightley shows off her ring.
Thailand mad about Lady Gaga buying fake Rolex.
Porsche slathered with crushed diamonds.
The New York Times on diamonds as an investment.
Huffington Post UK on how to buy a diamond.
From the Blog:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.