The top stories for February. Don’t miss a headline! Sign up for our daily newsletter at jckonline.com/newsletters/subscribe.
1. Florida Jeweler Mark Levinson Dies
The industry reeled at the news that the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., retailer renowned for his charity work had taken his own life.
2. Blue Nile Opening First Store
The online diamond dealer will venture into brick-and-mortar, likely in “one of the top malls,” CEO Harvey Kanter said.
3. Frederick Goldman Purchases Scott Kay
Frederick Goldman purchased its longtime bridal rival Scott Kay and plans to operate it as a wholly owned subsidiary.
4. Samuel Gordon Jewelers to Close
The well-respected Oklahoma City jeweler is closing after 111 years. “The reason is very, very boring,” says owner Gary Gordon. “I’m ready to retire.”
5. The 5 Best (and Worst) Jewelry Looks From the 2015 Academy Awards
Lupita Nyong’o’s 6,000-pearl Calvin Klein dress and ScarJo’s crystal bib necklace and Piaget gemstone and gold ear cuff won the night.