The top stories for August. Don’t miss a headline! Sign up for our daily newsletter at jckonline.com.newsletters/subscribe.
1. GIA Bans Five Indian Companies
The GIA banned five Indian companies from submitting to its grading lab, alleging they inscribed diamonds with false GIA report numbers.
2. The 5 Types of Jewelry Customers
Signet commissioned a study of middle-market jewelry consumers and discovered customers are differentiated by attitude, not age or income.
3. Home Shopping Networks No Longer That Interested in Jewelry
“It’s a performance problem for the category as a whole,” a manufacturer said of paltry sales at HSN and QVC.
4. Georgia Jeweler Sold Moissanite as Diamonds, Report Says
Lucky Diamonds & Co., in Decatur, Ga., admitted that a new employee with insufficient knowledge mistakenly sold a $1,500 pair of moissanite earrings to a customer seeking diamonds.
5. Earring Backs: the Talk of Twitter
The plastic backs of some earrings can come off ! That revelation sparked a social media sensation.