Five messages about the value of shopping small that retailers can share:
1. Boost local economies. Compared with chain stores, local merchants pump a higher percentage of their revenue back into the local economy; some estimates show a nearly 4-to-1 difference.
2. Create jobs. According to the Small Business Administration, small businesses create nearly two-thirds of all new private-sector jobs.
3. Build home values. A Civic Economics study found that home values in neighborhoods with a strong presence of independent businesses outperformed citywide markets by 50 percent.
4. Increase choices. A vibrant small business landscape delivers access to a wider array of goods and services, including offerings geared specifically to local needs.
5. Preserve communities. Shopping small helps sustain Main Street areas, town centers, and a community’s singular character.