Independents enjoyed a solid Christmas season (See “Holiday 2010: Mood Up, but Not Prices,” JCK, February 2011, p. 31), and the majors all recorded strong gains as well:
1. Zale Corp. posted its best holiday in years: Same-store sales rose 8.5 percent; total revenues ($533.1 million) rose 8 percent.
2. The Jared division of Signet Jewelers had particularly strong results, as comp sales jumped a whopping 18 percent.
3. The comps at Signet’s Kay Jewelers division soared 10.6 percent. Signet’s overall U.S. like-for-like sales rose 11.7 percent.
4. Tiffany & Co.’s comparable store sales in the Americas were up 7 percent, and and overall comp sales were up 10 percent. After the holidays, the company raised its 2011 forecast.
5. Birks & Mayors lagged behind, but still showed gains. Its comp sales were up 4 percent, though net sales were $75.5 million, up 8 percent. U.S. comps rose 2 percent.