If you’re contemplating upgrading your current system—or taking the plunge with one for the first time—it can feel overwhelming. Here’s how to point yourself in the right direction:
1. How many machines will it be used on? Many inventory management systems are sold per-machine; if you have a single computer and a sole cash register, avoid a system that bundles multiple licenses into the base price.
2. How many stores do you have? More robust systems can merge your stock information across stores, whereas others are more suited for smaller-scale stock.
3. Do you sell online? Some, but not all, systems integrate e-commerce with inventory management so you need to do tasks like adjusting prices or uploading photos only once.
4. Will you need automatic reordering? Larger retailers may benefit from one-click reordering of popular items, a feature less likely to excite smaller shops.
5. Where do you see yourself in five years? Some systems are better suited than others for scaling—worth considering if you anticipate expanding your business significantly.