Among the noteworthy people the industry lost recently:
1. Mort Weisenfeld, the former CEO of A. Cohen and Sons and an industry philanthropist, died Sept. 9 at age 89. Weisenfeld was president and chairman of the 24 Karat Club of New York and for years headed the industry chapter of the National Conference for Community and Justice.
2. Ralph Williams, former president of the 24 Karat Club of the Southeastern United States and the Southern Jewelry Travelers Association, died of cancer Aug. 22 at age 65.
3. Dominique Loiseau, the legendary watchmaker known for his complex timepieces, died Sept. 13, reported his employer, Girard-Perregaux. He was 64.
4. Risa Becker, co-owner of Becker’s Diamond and Fine Jewelry in West Hartford, Conn., died Sept. 10 at age 64 of ovarian cancer.
5. Ronald Sherman, owner of Sherman & Son Jewelers in Bridgewater, N.J., died on Aug. 20 at age 60.