Five iconic jewels owned by Dame Elizabeth Taylor that we’d like to see at Christie’s upcoming sale of her historic collection:
1. Taylor-Burton Diamond Every queen needs her crown jewel, and this 69.42 ct. pear-shape diamond, purchased by fifth husband Richard Burton at auction in 1969 for more than $1 million, was Taylor’s.
2. La Peregrina Pearl Discovered in the Gulf of Panama, this historic natural pearl passed through numerous royal houses before Burton paid $37,000 for it in 1969.
3. Krupp Diamond The 33.19 ct. rock from Harry Winston already had provenance to spare when Burton bought it for Taylor in 1968 for $305,000.
4. Bulgari emeralds The Roman jeweler was a favorite of Burton’s. He bought Taylor a traffic-stopping diamond and emerald necklace in 1962 while shooting Cleopatra.
5. Cartier rubies A gift from third husband Mike Todd, the 1957 Cartier suite, including a ruby and diamond bib necklace and matching earrings and bracelet, was famously given to Taylor while she swam in their pool.