Think of social media as a virtual cocktail party. You wouldn’t try to make a sale over canapés. Here are some “small talk” suggestions for social networking.
1. Play off pop culture. An event like the Oscars is a great springboard, says Rod Worley of Four Grainer LLC. Talk about the stars’ jewelry and which pieces stood out. Ask your visitors: Whose look did you love?
2. Introduce and educate. Do you have a bench jeweler on staff? Introduce him or her. “I’ll photograph our repair department, people sizing rings, setting diamonds—things that you might not otherwise see,” says Glatz Jewelers owner Tommy Glatz.
3. Solicit opinions and encourage people to like, retweet, or repin. Take your inspiration from the seasons: It can be as simple as asking what they’re doing for Mother’s Day or their favorite Thanksgiving side dish.
4. Use pictures. Instagram and Pinterest focus on visuals, giving you an unparalleled opportunity to woo consumers (don’t forget the hashtags).
5. Think outside the (jewelry) box. “I try to keep it a little bit humorous,” Glatz says. He regularly posts and shares cute pictures, recipes, and (clean) jokes.