1. Engagement rings make up the majority of platinum jewelry sales in all stores, followed by women’s wedding bands.
2. The average price of a platinum engagement semi-mount is approximately $2,800.
3. Less than half of jewelers surveyed purchased entry-level platinum products in 2010, though two-thirds reported that entry platinum products sold out during the year, and of the latter, just 65 percent said they reordered.
4. Almost half of jewelers surveyed reported that sales of platinum engagement rings in the first half of 2010 were the same compared to other metal types of engagement rings, while a third said sales worsened.
5. Sales of platinum bridal jewelry in 2011 are expected to grow by 4 percent.
Source: PGI’s Small Chain and Independent Retail Sentiment Study of Platinum Bridal Jewelry, Second Half 2010